Psionics Continuted

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Psionics Continuted

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

I appologize for starting another psion thread Coloures as the last one was previously locked but I got a conflicting ruling from the avlis boards.

http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?t=43093
The official team rule:

You see a visual effect ingame, it's IC.

All th Telepathy powers except Contact have a distinct visual effect. (Contact you would not be able to tell) Ergo, you CAN see that they were used, and by who.
It says "the team's" ruling is that psionics have some kind of visual effect.
(Incidently who is the team is that copap or just avlis?)

Does this ruling (which i personally find rather silly) stand for hala as well
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
slave_of_emotions
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by slave_of_emotions »

Well avlis is simple diferent at point about visual effects, there you will see only efects that can be actually seen by your char, like barkskin. Other spells like endure elements, premotion you wont see IC and on your screen as well. So i suppose they simply go the same way with psionics.
[url=http://www.dynasig.net/?id=2052][img]http://serve.dynasig.net/2052.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/a296/6_loverboy_9/NWN/]screenshots[/url][url=http://slaveofemotions.sl.funpic.de/mx/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=1]and more[/url]
T'Holoth Shadowborn

The message i got from reading that is that most psionics have some kinda cheesy visual effect like glowing green auras or a "buzzing" noise
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Drakuul
Veteran DM

Post by Drakuul »

However, the same "spells" that mages use (Clairvoyance, see invis, true sight etc..) don't have the graphical giveaways in avlis, but the psions versions do.
I think, therefore I am right. QED.
T'Holoth Shadowborn

That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Post by Guest »

Same goes for here. You can tell that a spell or ability was used, but not the nature of it without a spellcraft roll or somesuch.
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

you know, there would be a simple rule one could impliment for this sort of thing. If it has a visual effect, then you can see that visual effect. If it doesn't, you can't. That way, if the team didn't want something to have a visual effect, they could remove it and visa versa. Why Avlis can't work on that, I don't know.
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
NWDuneAuron

Post by NWDuneAuron »

Because removing visual effects takes time, generally, and is low on the priorities list.
Drakuul
Veteran DM

Post by Drakuul »

you know, there would be a simple rule one could impliment for this sort of thing. If it has a visual effect, then you can see that visual effect. If it doesn't, you can't. That way, if the team didn't want something to have a visual effect, they could remove it and visa versa. Why Avlis can't work on that, I don't know.
That rule IS implemented on Avlis. WYSIWYG - They added in the visuals to most Psion powers so there would be a visual seen IC and OOC
I think, therefore I am right. QED.
T'Holoth Shadowborn

I played a lot of old school psionics. No visiual effects. Pretty hard to tell someone was using psionics. used to kill people by using telekinesis to shut their windpipe heh

On one hand I find the visual effect rules pretty dumb. Ruins the psion RP a lot for me.

on the other hand I take into consideration how annoying someone would be constantly using psionic powers on me and me having to act like i don't notice who it is.
I can see the tell's now
"Um you cant tell its me using psionics on you, you just feel someone trying to disintrigrate you over and over" etc..

I'm forcing myself to believe it's a matter of RP vs dumb players
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

Drakuul wrote:
That rule IS implemented on Avlis. WYSIWYG - They added in the visuals to most Psion powers so there would be a visual seen IC and OOC
at one time thats what I thought was being do... must have got confused with what was being said at somepoint :?
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
T'Holoth Shadowborn

Another point about psionics.

In so far as I know, if a psion casts a power against you and he fails his power check then nothing happens. You dont feel attacked and you dont sense anything fishy. The psionc power never left the psions brain. You have no reason to turn around and attack the psion.

About contact. AFAIK, If your in a crowd and a psion attempts to "contact" your character you can't tell who did it, only that someone tried to. Of course if its just you and a psion in the same room it's a good indication that it was him.

Is that accurate?
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

*bump*
Last edited by Druid523 on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The ways in which they are different are maybe more visible but less important than the ways in which they are alike." -Rudiki about Alexis and Sceluscio

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Sceluscio_Potementia]Scel's Wiki Entry[/url]
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Firstly, for anyone looking for a quick Psionic power description:
Psionics Wiki

Secondly, read this this , which is a guide for roleplaying the effects of the telepathic powers, (and is currently the "rule" for Hala).

-Scel
Last edited by Druid523 on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The ways in which they are different are maybe more visible but less important than the ways in which they are alike." -Rudiki about Alexis and Sceluscio

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Sceluscio_Potementia]Scel's Wiki Entry[/url]
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

This looks and sounds pretty good to me. This is what Hala will go by.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!