Giving something back...

The latest announcements from your Hala Team

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Giving something back...

Post by Psye Shaar »

Quite often people tell us how they would like to give something back to Hala or make their own mark upon the world. We've decided to give people that opportunity in the form of in-game books.

Basically, all you need to do is to come up with the content of the book and send it to the Hala Team account. This content can be anything from tales of past events, through to descriptions of cities/areas or even a glossary of monsters.

Anything containing direct references to other PC's will always be cleared with them first and then must also be deemed acceptible by the team. ALso, spoilers will not be permitted, so no giving away locations.

Any 'books' that then make it onto the server will be rewarded by a reasonable sized cookie (reasonable of course by our standards :P ) as well as the acknowledgement of seeing your own work appearing in-game.

These books can also be IC'ly written by your PC, but you must bear in mind that they will only be used if your PC would be capable of or even likely to write a book in the first place.

We know there's plenty of you with at least a degree of narrative flare, so we await your submissions with eager anticipation. :)
darkserra
Craftmaster

Post by darkserra »

*BUMP*
-- [i]People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.[/i]
George Orwell
Lir'ana
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lir'ana »

I stink at wrighting, main reason I don't keep a journal on the boards.
:( I blame public schools.
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Lir'ana wrote:I stink at wrighting, main reason I don't keep a journal on the boards.
:( I blame public schools.
I blame your spelling
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
darkserra
Craftmaster

Post by darkserra »

The first player content books have been created......

DS
-- [i]People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.[/i]
George Orwell
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

darkserra wrote:The first player content books have been created......

DS
Yay!
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

Scel could finally get "The Quest of the Milk" back from the binders any day...
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by albonia »

I created a book for the Amazons of hala and it is already in the server mod does that count for this.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Would people be interested in a Green Goblin Guide to Wilderness Survival?
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Zombie wrote:Would people be interested in a Green Goblin Guide to Wilderness Survival?
Yes!! :)
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

Heck yes!
13thHour : [Tell] *your alignment has long since passed any possible further move to 'sexy' due to reinventing the scale*

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lexy]Lexy on the Wiki![/url]
Lir'ana

Post by Lir'ana »

Definitely :D
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
ChukchiDog
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by ChukchiDog »

Just in case it isn't already known, i've seen volumes 1 and 3 of "The General of Rumar", but not volume 2; is volume 2 out there somewhere?
Gildan: "I'm not as good as I once was, but i'm as good once as I ever was."

"I'm stubborn as those garbage bags that time cannot decay; I'm junk, but I'm still holding up this little wild bouquet." -Leonard Cohen, "Democracy"
ChukchiDog
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by ChukchiDog »

And I would be interested in a Green Goblin Guide to pretty much anything at all. :)
Gildan: "I'm not as good as I once was, but i'm as good once as I ever was."

"I'm stubborn as those garbage bags that time cannot decay; I'm junk, but I'm still holding up this little wild bouquet." -Leonard Cohen, "Democracy"
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

Zombie I want one

8)
Why do they call him Boris the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bulltes Avi!
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

Big ol' BUMP

There are lots of talented writers out there and I need books for loot drops! No toolset knowledge needed, just send your manuscript exactly as you want it written (so proof read and spell check please) to the Hala Team account.

Also, if you already have a book available (its in a store or something) and you don't mind it being dropped in random loot, let me know.

Thanks
silverdragonams
Head DM

To answer some questions I've received privately but I'm sure others have:

Pretty much anything your character would IC'ly write about, fiction or non-fiction, is acceptable with a few exceptions.

No spoilers (such as crafting recipes).

Libel against another PC won't be accepted.

We won't accept anything that might infringe on someones copyright. For example Zombie has submitted his Grovely Tales and I intend to have Dagny do some writing based on the old Norse eddas; both of which are ok because they are copy right free. Rewriting a modern song, even if it fits in with the setting, probably would not be accepted.

Non-fiction should be related to Ysgardian or Planar lore. Books on most of the Gods worshiped by PCs are acceptable as well, though please refrain from writing lore based in other CoPaP worlds. For example, even though Andrinor has been said to reside in Ysgard according to Avlis lore, this particular deity is Avlis's IP and we have no right to create or accept new lore for him. On the other hand, standard DnD gods recognized on other worlds, such as Corellon Larethian and Gruumsh, are fair game.
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Are we still looking for book content for IG books? =)
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Always! :D
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
AmusedApathy

Post by AmusedApathy »

Silly question....

Is there a word limit? Or preferred length?

AA
silverdragonams
Head DM

There is no real word limit, but if it gets too long, split it into volumes :)
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

I'm going to offer a slightly varied theme on this (inspired by something recently offered on Avlis, so credit where it's due)

For the next month, I will accept and create books for any that wish to write them, but these won't go into the loot drops and you will only receive up to 3 copies of them to hand out as you so wish.

The content can be anything you want (outside of FOIG information such as crafting recipies and non IC references). Sentimental stories, erotic adventures, last weeks shopping list - anything you like, since the only ones to see them (other than myself and other nosy DM's while in the client) will be you and the people you hand them out to.

The books will also be marked plot so remain on you all the while.

Send the body of text to me here and if you're after a particular book appearance, let me know that too, otherwise you get my best judgement on it.

You have one month, starting from this post.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

As an addendum to the above, while I'm not going to put a specified limit on the number of books, please remember that your PC has to be able to carry 3 sets of each book, so lets keep it reasonable.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Bump!
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Well folks, today is the last day of this, so any that want to get anything in, speak now...