Legendary Items of Hala

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

silverdragonams
Head DM

Legendary Items of Hala

Post by silverdragonams »

So, I spent a good hour this morning creating an item reward. The player put a lot of thought and work into the RP, so I wanted the reward to be something special and unique to him. The result, I must say, I am pretty darn proud of.

But it has me thinking that there are a lot of great items out there that DMs and players alike put a lot of time and effort into but rarely get seen. Since most of these should be easily recognizable IC, why not start a thread to show them off? So, please post screenshots of your favorite gear! (but cut off the item properties if you like)

Here are the rules:
1. This is (obviously) voluntary.

2. Items should be unique to the character that owns it.

3. Items should have a unique backstory and/or appearance.

4. These are items that you feel might come up in conversation if an NPC were to talk about your character's deeds. These should be reasonably recognizeable to anyone who has heard of your character's exploits. These are items you would would not wear if you wanted to go in disguise, but this does not mean you can identify a PC you have never met before by what is written in this thread unless you clear it with said PC first
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
Tremayne7
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Tremayne7 »

I think this is my favorite DM reward of all time of all my characters. It truly has become a part of Aria and her character.
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
Nastr0nd
Major DM

Post by Nastr0nd »

A couple of mine
Gregpooh
Knight: Church of Pants

Post by Gregpooh »

It was once joked IC that Seamus has a story for every piece of equipment he owns except his socks. While this is nearly true, some of those items hold special meaning for him. Two of the most recognizable (and most memorable for me as a player) are listed below.

Every time Seamus goes to Urend to unload a pile of found items I think about the fact that Urend wouldn't be there but for the efforts of those who went to pull him out of Shaggy's clutches. A high point in Seamus' career and one of my favorite plot rewards.

Night's end: Found during one of the pivotal stories in Seamus' existence. The helm of a Paladin turned Deathknight who Seamus freed from his cursed existence through single combat. When we found his helm in the Empress' horde after she fled I was literally in tears. Perhaps my single, favorite plot reward of all time, and the single most recognizable piece of kit Seamus wears. Sometimes he fancies that the spirit of Marduk speaks to him through the helm, and he's not quite the same person when he wears it as when he doesn't.
It takes a [b]Viking[/b] to Raze a Village.
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

Dune had a real gift for making interesting DM rewards! In fact I'm going to break my own rule here for just a moment to show off one from an early plot. This is not unique, unless Sara is the only one left that still has hers. Even so, she certainly doesn't wear it!

What was great about this one? The general consensus on receiving this reward was "eeeeeeew! You really want us to pick those up!? :lol: "

This is Sara's blade, the one she received when she was knighted. She always has it, even when its not visually apparent, its safe to assume its strapped to her back.

These are Sara's actual hands, so technically not really an item I suppose. She can't cover them though, so can't disguise herself from anyone who knows her. And, when I emote that they are badly scarred and that she has bad handwriting, this is why....

Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Here is Malik's recognisable gear

His glove which he wears over the top of his gauntlets, just like Michael Jackson!

His new shield which is just going to be trouble....

Malik's amulet, while not obviously his, makes me giggle. May well be the first custom DM item I received but Morgans gloves may be older.

And finally his armor. No special description or anything like that, but as you can likely tell from the name its been with him a while ;) Of all the items on all my characters this is the one im most proud of. He bribed someone with diamonds to go to celestia and get it for him and has been slowly corrupting it ever since.
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
_JM_

Post by _JM_ »

Most of Jay’s things he’s had long enough they were Avlis rewards but there are a couple.

One is his Blessed Feather of Uller. When we brought horses to this plane Jay refused Arkon’s reward as he preferred his existing rings combined with armour/belt/bracers. Jay did have a Scabbard of Tyr though from the Aspect of Fenrir plot and he decided to give that to a Paladin of Tyr. So Arkon created the Blessed Feather of Uller with roughly the same properties as a replacement for Jay.

So thanks to Arkon for the quick and hard work making that item on the fly.

The other one is Jayem’s Book of Notes. At various points I’ve RPed that Jay is making a note or referring to his notes, including the finding of previous volumes (for recovering the document from the old hard drive). One day Nastr0nd decided to take me at my word and surprised me with an equippable book for Jay with “a lifetime of experiences, musings, and random jottings”.

So thanks to Nastr0nd for the surprise.

Not sure these count under point 4 though they are unique (point 2) and with unique backstory (point 3) as they are not all that recognisable. But I can imagine some NPC saying “that cleric, you know, the one always doodling in that book… you know what the nutter did? He had this sword, yeah, with all this magic on it and then he tickled it with a bloody feather! Thought the daft sod would burn that feather or shock his own senile self but instead his sword started to glow. Was right weird!”
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

Regarding Dan'eths staff, I remember that fire opal :D
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

Not a quest reward, unless you consider others having to put up with Sul over the years to be a quest (I know I do), my favourite item he had was given to him by another player “The Amulet of Pure Good”. It could have been without any stats of any kind, but he’d have kept it for its description alone (well worth a read if you ever wondered about him, and then maybe you should wonder about the player that would give it to such a zealot). When holy symbols were released on Hala with their ability to combine with other items. LC helped me out by taking the combined item, transferring the description and renaming it to be “Almara’s Holy Symbol of Pure Good”.
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

I'll get something of Ro's up here sometime when I've really got the time to work on it.

Nastr0nd; can your things be made bigger? I'm still using a 13 inch diagonal CRT monitor. Its to small to be read. Yeah - crap; I know. But what's a poor sod to do?
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
_JM_

Post by _JM_ »

Option 1: Use the zoom-in facility of the browser.

Option 2: If your browser does not have a zoom then right click, "Save As...", and look at / zoom in on the pictures in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (or whatever utility starts when you click on them).
sinn

Post by sinn »

a little something Ash picked up.
[i]"Zee cabbage does not run away from zee corn-beef."[/i]
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

The first award for major plot involvment ever (including the previous years spent on Avlis). The way Ro recieved it was stated as a gift from the people of Ysgard, for her aid in stopping the Illithid menace; specially made for her by them. When I read that bit; it made me immediately think that it was crafted out of leather made from Illithid skins. I asked the DM about that; and he said it would be ok to claim that was the case. Since then; Ro's been proud of her Illithid Leather Armor.

This one, similar to Sara's hands; is not really an item, but is unique to the character. When I first read the description given; I interpreted that as Ro's lash marks still being clearly visible and as she uses the power; she can feel them as freshly made/re-opening again (thus why when she first received this and started using the powers; she'd groan some as she used them). This is also the reason the PC Description (Examine) was made to reflect the possibility of the lash markings being seen.

I do believe that this one has to be classified as unique.

A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

There! got around to take proper screenies of those items people would recognise Yana by. There are other items she has that are awesome if only for what it means IC, but nothing specific to Yana alone.

First up is Miellyana's Feather Mask. At first, it was an OOC helm item to illustrate her facial feathers when she tried to shift into a hawk. Once she was back to normal, she made this mask, turning the OOC item into an IC one. (Thanks Nas!)

Then, as most know, Miellyana's hawk, Zunya, is addicted to venison jerky. One day, Zombie surprised me with a special pouch for Zunya's jerky. Yana frequently "digs in a small pouch at her belt for a piece of jerky" since then. (Thanks Z!)

And last but not least, Miellyana's amulet. A specially hand-carved wooden piece was added to her amulet of wisdom and imbued with some additional magic. Was given to her by Benjamin as a token of thanks for her help and friendship. She always wears it and only takes it off when absolutely necessary. (Thanks Shannen!)

AmusedApathy

Post by AmusedApathy »

I'm in a holy thread resurrection mood today! I found this one, and I thought I'd share some of Legs' favorite toys.... however, if you really want to find out what they do, you'll have to ask!

First - Legs really does have a perma lollipop, just in case you doubted:

Then... theres the jiggle bow:

The sekret cool kids ring (I promise, it has extra tickle properties):

And this one... just cause it's wierd!:

All of these have a great story attached to them, even if it's not in the description... well, except for the lolli, cause it's a fake, it does have an actual IG purpose though. ;-)
_JM_

Post by _JM_ »

On the basis that these would be fairly recognisable in association with Jayem, since he got two during his newbie quest on Avlis and one was upgraded as the final reward to that, I think I shall share.

The armour he has to wear at almost all times due to the ever present threat of fairy tickling. Unfortunately neither the resistance to swords it had originally nor the acid and negative energy resistance he had added in Mikona (thought the negative would replace the acid) nor even the resistance to magical energy that a visit to Innocence Lost provided have any effect against such a terrible threat.

The shield that makes the glowy-trolls drip-drip of elemental damage less of an irritant.

And the sword he has had for rather a while both as this and for a time simply as "Feysteel Bastard Sword"... though in all the time since it was upgraded and named he has never decided if the stone visibly set into the blade does pop out and go whizzing around him when he triggers the Ioun Stone power or not.
_JM_

Post by _JM_ »

With Glory Breaker being reforged the description changed...
New Description wrote:Over many years Glory Breaker served Jayem Dareau well. As its previous self it had seen many battles against the forces of the Legion of the Glory Lord in Jayem’s efforts to prevent the Sliver of Gold from falling into their hands. And since those efforts had earned the enchantments added by the Blue Order Archmage Aerill Ailpera and the Enchantress Lynette Swann to the magic of the well made Feysteel Bastard Sword it had seen many more.

But the story of Glory Breaker nearly ended when the Silver Sword of the Gal’Zorig Alestair the Damned shattered both sword and swordsman and left Jayem Dareau holding a meagre stump. Initially heedless of this in his concern for the other fallen he had this pointed out to him and was aided in reaching and requesting the aid of the Dwarven Smith Brandon.

This smith was able to reforge the broken Glory Breaker and to use various arcane components and fresh Ioun Stones to restore and add to its magic. One of the two Ioun Stones was gained from the Temple of Ellistrae thanks to the aid of Egil Leiffson and Alexis Dufresne Montjoie of the Tower of Iron Will and Aranel of White Wood and the other was a gift from Alexis. So once more Glory Breaker would serve Jayem Dareau well, its own enchantments blending with his prayers to make a formidable weapon.