NWN BIOWARE WTF?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

sinn
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

NWN BIOWARE WTF?

Post by sinn »

PlasmaJohn wrote:Hey guys,

EA has pulled the plug on the old Bioware site. If you depended on it to keep a copy of your keys just in case you lost them this feature is no longer accessible. I highly recommend that you make a copy of nwncdkeys.ini and store it someplace safe. Heck, print it out and stick it in your fire safe or safe deposit box.

NOTE: The Master Server is still authenticating logins at this time.
http://avlis.org/posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=1298940

throwing up a thread on ysgard.org in case you all dont read Avlis.org
[i]"Zee cabbage does not run away from zee corn-beef."[/i]
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

o.O

EEEEK!
Well let's hope MS will stay up for a long time still!
Tremayne7
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Tremayne7 »

Being a Sims2 player, I really don't like EA games. They suck at Customer Service.

I hope everyone sets the CoPap worlds to be able to play without Gamespy as I have a feeling they may take those servers down if they are this stupid.

Make copies of your ini files as that also stores your CD keys.
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
sinn

Post by sinn »

Yesterday (June 14), we learned that a hacker gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare community server system associated with the Neverwinter Nights forums. We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers’ data and launched an ongoing evaluation of the seriousness of the breach. We have determined that no credit card data was compromised, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. However hackers may have obtained information such as user account names and passwords, email addresses, and birth dates of approximately 18,000 accounts--a very small percentage of total users. We have emailed those whose accounts may have been compromised and either disabled their accounts or reset their EA Account passwords. If you did not receive an email from us, or if your password still works for your EA account, your username and password were not compromised. Nevertheless, changing your password regularly is always helpful to protect your account.

We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. If your username, email address and/or password on the Neverwinter Nights forums are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing your password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-866-543-5435.

Aaryn Flynn
Studio GM, BioWare Edmonton
VP, Electronic Arts
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/6/index/7653193
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

So that's why they pulled the plug, then? Wasn't a permanent thing?

Whew! =)
Tremayne7

Post by Tremayne7 »

I bet it that Lulzsec group. They're really being @$$es. They hacked the EVEOnline community.

"If life is a hankerchief, love is the embrodery that makes it more beautiful." - Alexis Dufresne Montjoie

"A Tyrite, a thief, a ranger and a preppy elf were sitting in a bar with a druidess..." -Aranel
Zombie
Veteran DM

Post by Zombie »

I say we ban them from Hala :D
Grovel puts the P in swimming pool.
Small in stature, large in power, narrow of focus and wide of vision
My play/DM times: [url]http://www.ysgard.org/viewtopic.php?highlight=play&t=7671[/url]
Sable

Post by Sable »

Tremayne7 wrote:I bet it that Lulzsec group. They're really being @$$es. They hacked the EVEOnline community.
So far, it just appears to be a DDOS attack rather than a hack, but they took the servers down as a precaution. Whether they'll find that the DDOS attack was a cover for a hack somewhere down the line is another question though.
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
Tremayne7

Post by Tremayne7 »

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Bethesda Games had DDOS attack too I think. I've been following the story on MSNBC.

Tremayne7

Post by Tremayne7 »

Alrighty folks,

The Master Server appears to be down. That's the one that verifies our CD keys and lets us log onto Hala or Avlis or Arkaz.

I talked to someone at EA Games and they got me an email address to contact Bioware about the Master Server.

mailto:contact@bioware.com

I've emailed them, but it couldn't hurt if more people did too.

albonia

Post by albonia »

Seems the master servers are still down. Any news of when they are likely to be back up.
A quote from a mage, without my magic I am just an Elf in a bathrobe.
silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

They are doing some updates to improve security of the master server. No official news, but EA support has suggested another day or two (as of yesterday). We are looking into options as well - which will probably not get folks IG sooner this time, but may be in place for the next time the MS is down an extended period. Maybe.

Hopefully, with the long weekend coming up, the Bioware folks will be itching to get home so will hurry up and fix it.
Characters:
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=Sarakin_Fyne]Sarakin Fyne[/url]

www.anotherworlddesign.etsy.com
sinn

Post by sinn »

silverdragonams wrote: Hopefully, with the long weekend coming up, the Bioware folks will be itching to get home so will hurry up and fix it.
more likely they are already on their 4 day weekend....

(I would love to be wrong about this)
Moonyju
Minor DM

Post by Moonyju »

Hopefully they'll fix it before leaving for the weekend! =)
Sable

Post by Sable »

Tried to log in at the weekend for the first time in months... oh the irony! :lol:

found it funnier to realise I'd logged Sul out on Avlis somewhere, and so have to fiddle about with whatever system they now have just to get off. :oops:
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
albonia

Post by albonia »

Any new of any kind on an ETA to get the servers up again.

Managed to log into Hala but Avlis is not possible.
GimpGenius
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by GimpGenius »

Avlis has a different authentication system than Ysgard/Arkaz, and it's currently has a few bugs that are being worked out. See here for more info:

http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124055

As of right now (1:25 US EST, 9 July) the Avlis servers are up but not accepting logins. Hopefully they'll be fixed soon. Hope that helps.
JD Smith

Post by JD Smith »

As of the ninth; Avlis posted they had a work around to allow those that missed the 24 Jun date to again log in to Avlis. It requires contacting someone and getting a short password that has a very limited duration. If I knew how to make a link to forum topics; I'd do so ... but .... :?
A.N. Imus: Simon Colin Bernard
Victoria DeVitale: thankya
Victoria DeVitale: I need something shorter
Victoria DeVitale: Sim?
albonia

Post by albonia »

I successfully logged into Avlis using their new method. So it works and i can now log into both Hala and Avlis.
Tremayne7

Post by Tremayne7 »

Just thought you all would like to know...

I was just on the Bioware forums and the Master Server will be up sometime soonish. Bioware is working with Atari to get the issues resolved and the server restored.

I'd like to thank NastrOnd for her quick coding so that we could continue to play. Both Hala and Arkaz thank you! :D