Forum Update COMPLETE

The latest announcements from your Hala Team

Moderators: Arkon, Top Team

Themicles
Game Server Admin and Web Monkey

Forum Update COMPLETE

Post by Themicles »

***Original Message***
The hosting provider I use is forcing the upgrade to PHP 7.2 any day/moment now. I was investigating the upgrade path yesterday when I broke the live forums on accident, when intending to test on a dev copy first. Long story short, it was 12 hours of hell yesterday getting them back to where they were. After getting it sorted, I tested the update procedures for phpBB 3.1.6 to 3.2.8 on PHP 5.6 using a development copy of the site. Not only did that work out wonderfully, so to did it work when I updated that dev domain to PHP 7.2.

In the next few minutes, I will be disabling all other Styles but the default "prosilver" and forcing all users to it. This is a necessary step to avoid site breaking issues (see yesterday's 12 hours of hell). When the site comes back up, I will have installed two additional 3.2.8 Styles for you to choose from. From there, the site will enter Disabled mode and I will begin the upgrade process. Once it is complete and working on PHP 5.6, I will upgrade the domain to PHP 7.2. I will update the title of this post, and reply when it is done.

As a side note, this forced update at the host has created even bigger issues for me on the Tairis and CoPaP websites. They will be joining Ysgard.org on phpBB 3.2.8, though probably with a lot more struggles. They will also both be losing their portal pages and custom themes.

Please remember that no one is paying me to do this. I do this because I love this community and want to continue to support it. But please be patient with me if additional work beyond what is necessary for the site to simply not crash drags on a few weeks. I intend for all CoPaP related sites that I host to return to the full functionality they had in the past. I got halfway there, and Admins here can see some of that work in the ACP under the Website tab.
***Original Message***
World Leader: Tairis'nàdur
Administrator: Confederation of Planes and Planets
Server Host & Web Monkey: Hala The Heroic Domain of Ysgard
Themicles

Re: Forum Update COMPLETE

Post by Themicles »

Forum update is complete.

This site is now running phpBB 3.2.8 on PHP 7.2.

The default Style is prosilver
A darker version: Prosilver (Dark Edition)
And a cleaner version: prosilver Special Edition
  1. You can change your style by clicking your username and selecting User Control Panel.
  2. In there select the Board Preferences tab.
  3. In Edit Global Settings find My Board Style and choose your preferred style.
Themicles

Re: Forum Update COMPLETE

Post by Themicles »

As part of this forum update, I have been taking the time to clear out all of the 50,000+ inactive users. 99% of which were spambots, with only a few being old accounts that were just never ever used. This had to be done initially 500 at a time, then finally 900 at a time as I tested the query limits.

This operation is now done.