Question psion powers

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

silverdragonams
Head DM

Post by silverdragonams »

ace4lyyfe wrote:
Being able to send psionic telepathy tells across the server does nothing to further rp.
Ace, I think everyone agrees that no matter how you look at it, sending tells across the server is metagaming (though most people do it anyway)

That's not what they are asking to do though. Looks to me like they want 2 things: the ability to use telepathy over short distances/line of sight and the ability to RP ESP with the consent of the other player/dm.

I've already given my opinion on how telepathy should be handled. I've always enjoyed the RP that goes on with Sara and Tris and his occasional psionic breakdowns (:P). Personally, I think allowing a bit of roleplaying ESP abilities makes for an interesting twist in the game.
T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

Being able to send psionic telepathy tells across the server does nothing to further rp.
So, what you're saying is that Hala should ban the use of tells (period) a la old abyss404?
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Let's stick to facts and not Opinions.

Getting RP out of Psionic Tells, is Subjective.

I -have- gotten RP out of it.

But i've been metagamed against as well.

It's the people. not the power.

Subjectivity.
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Rudiki
Wearer of the Holy Pants

Post by Rudiki »

Ace wrote: << Being able to send psionic telepathy tells across the server does nothing to further rp. >>

I was not actually thinking of this application at all when I wrote my post. There is so much more that can be done RP-wise with these powers. But I can certainly envision situations where sending a long-distance/not line of sight telepathic tell would definitely further and enhance RP.
ace4lyyfe
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by ace4lyyfe »

As I said earlier, I would not mind having psions send thoughts to each other across short distances(line of sight). I would not mind to have psions sense someones emotions or surface thoughts either, as long as they first asked the player if it was alright(*you feel a knock at your minds door, do you let it in?*).

My apologies also if I offended anyone with my view on psions. I'm sure that these powers used in the suggested way in general will add a great deal to rp as a whole. A good amount of people have psions on Hala, so tweaking or adding something affects alot of people.
So, what you're saying is that Hala should ban the use of tells (period) a la old abyss404?
heh, that would be something hilarious, and no, I wouldn't want that.
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

Reading someone's mind is something that can only be done with the express OC consent of everyone it affects. Think about that a second. That means, if you want to learn plot details by mind reading, the DM who's plot it is needs to have cleared it, etc, so on so forth. Now, this is something I personally would allow, on a case by case basis.

Telepathic communication, again, same rule applies. If you're using it to tell your friends that there's some phat DM love going down - albeit ICly, wiv yer minds - you damn well better have the permission of the DM who's running the event to do so. As for low level communication, no issue with it myself. Be prepared for 100% of the non-psionic world and most psions to find it extremely rude if they even suspect you're talking telephatically, though.
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

I have rp'ed a few times with people using psionics. They have always asked first and i've always said yes. I don't know all the D&D rules covering it. I've got teh 3rd edition book but i've never bothered to read it. But I have always had fun when they did use psion powers on me and I think it enhanes the game considerably with them using ESP. But i agree it should be used on someone in line of sight, or at least in the same area, and not on the other side of the server.

Just my $.02
Gone
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

ace4lyyfe wrote:(*you feel a knock at your minds door, do you let it in?*)..
I love that .

Since I would believe that it would be somewhat subconciously noticeable, (I mean, we do get saves anyways, to most powers, that would be the case there,) That emote is wonderful. Since it allows resistance or acceptance.

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
ace4lyyfe
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by ace4lyyfe »

Druid523 wrote: I contact the person via a tell that says something along the lines of: *you feel a mental knock at your mind's door; do you let it in?*
Eh, Id like to take credit for the line Xan, but Druid was the author.
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

ace4lyyfe wrote:
Druid523 wrote: I contact the person via a tell that says something along the lines of: *you feel a mental knock at your mind's door; do you let it in?*
Eh, Id like to take credit for the line Xan, but Druid was the author.
Go figure. I really ought to pretend to read his posts better. I just skip them half the time.

Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Rudiki wrote:But I can certainly envision situations where sending a long-distance/not line of sight telepathic tell would definitely further and enhance RP.
Definitely. Like perhaps during an event where there is some sort of focus crystal that extends the use of the power to contact all characters and creatures who are psionically aware! For this sort of...out-of-sight usage, a DM supervising it would be expected. But for in-sight, I think the players can officiate themselves.

Edit: :evil: at Xanthalas
Last edited by Druid523 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zsenf
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by zsenf »

Scel's used ESP to put visual images in my char's head, but since it was just to enhance some RPing and didn't make any actual difference, I think it's totallly acceptable. On Avlis, we've had a little DM enabled mindlinking, scrying, and group teleport happen, none of which are possible without a DM. These are the examples of good psionic rule bending that I've seen so far, and they were very well done.

I have also seen someone cheese knowing her freind was nearby and was in trouble. This is totally lame, against the rules, and I was embarrased to be associated with her. I sent her an OOC tell letting her know i'm about 99.99% sure we can't do that, but it didn't help any. If you're just playing normal, not in an event or something, it's important to stick to the rules and not 'cheese' stuff, especially if it'll give you some advantage you should't have.