Snooping in someones death corpse

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Is it rude/bad role playing to snoop in someones course when they are DPed?

Yes
33%
No
62%
Other
5%

Total votes: 21

T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Snooping in someones death corpse

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

Is it rude/poor role playing to look at the gear someone has when they die?
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
DarknessFallsLight
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by DarknessFallsLight »

I wouldnt think so. They fell and are wide open for searching through for either identifying reasons, an IGly way to estimate their streangths and weakness without Meta'ing, and would sure make people think more carefully of just who they surround themselves with ;)
Im too lazy to think of a witty signature to put here so just laugh anyway
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

If someone drops a briefcase full of franklins; tell me you wouldn't goggle and try to count them all.

(Men. Single.) If a foxah laydeh bent down infront of you, tell me you wouldn't look. Or atleast think of looking.

(Women. Of all nationalities, age, etc.) If you see another woman in a cafe window devouring a huge piece of chocolate cake, tell me you wouldn't be jealous and try to burn a hole through her scalp/ try to telekenisis the cake over to you.
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
T'Holoth Shadowborn

They fell and are wide open for searching through for either identifying reasons, an IGly way to estimate their streangths and weakness without Meta'ing, and would sure make people think more carefully of just who they surround themselves with
Isn't that exactly metagaming though? I'm talking about when someone dies next to you in an event or battle and you turn to see wht they have.
Your flipping through the persons invintory checking out how many +'s their sword, armor and braces have, the properities on their armor and anything else they have. I've even seen people go to someone elses corpse and check out what they have before going to their own gear and collecting it. Just seems like a very ooc/metagamed thing to do. I'm guilty too of it, just wanted to see if anyone else thought it was rude or thinks its perfectly fine.
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

I don't think there's a person on CoPaP who hasn't metagamed in the time they've been playing. Though bad, everyone's guilty of it, even if it was only a tiny thing.

I really don't mind someone snooping through my junk. It's all in tons of bags anyway. So long as you DO NOT take anything I think it's fine.
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

I know this is kind of a copout, but I think it would depend on the situation to determine whether or not it's rude (or even plausible). If you're in battle and someone dies next to you and you snoop their corpse to see what they have...that's not only rude, but it's also unlikely (unless you're Niko). If the battle's over and you look through their corpse to contemplate gathering their things for them, that's another story. Or if you need to snoop their corpse just to see whose it is (this corpse belongs to so-and-so), so that you can roleplay ("Oh no, Lily died again).
I think, for the most part, looking through someone's corpse with the intention of just wanting to see what stuff they have is rude. If the intention is to help this person in some way (gather their things for them, guard their things, identify who died, etc.), then it's fine. I don't think it's rude if you stumble upon a corpse in the middle of nowhere to rifle through their things. Chances are you found some unlucky bastard's corpse and, since he's been long dead, he won't be needing any of his nice equipment anymore. You, however, could make use of it. If you don't, someone else'll just come along and take it instead. It's smart, not rude.

-Scel
"The ways in which they are different are maybe more visible but less important than the ways in which they are alike." -Rudiki about Alexis and Sceluscio

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Sceluscio_Potementia]Scel's Wiki Entry[/url]
Fredegar

Body snatchers..

Post by Fredegar »

If it is a heated battle or fresh from the death plane itself, I'd wonder why someone cares more about another's things than their own. Probably expect to find something missing off the searched corpse when the owner makes it there again.

If it is after a battle and my character is the lone or one of few survivors, then if I'm digging through a corpse trying to find a scroll of resurrection (or similar item) and I see something that the deceased character visibly wears that peaks my characters interest in some fashion... You can bet I certainly will be checking it out. ;)

Besides that, I don't go digging about a players inventory checking things out unless it is 'there'. I don't really find it all that rude if someone else is going though my corpse. I'd take it IC and see my first statement.

Also have to keep in mind is that you can't tell a corpse until you open it, refering to if it is a party or multi member wipe out.
DarknessFallsLight

Post by DarknessFallsLight »

Oh if it was an ally or mutual friend that fell in battle, rifling through their corpse before or after the fighting ended would be bad RP in my mind as its a lack of respect to that PC and a trust issue.

If you felled an enemy in CvC and you rifled through thier corpse then I think that would be perfectly normal. Of course I stress the "in CvC" part and not if they were felled by a hostile encounter or by a DM event in which the rifler and riflee were not on opposing sides on that instance.

Of course I stick to my firm belief that looting just to gain an item is low, dirty, and cheap. Looky is fine, nooo touchy ;)
Im too lazy to think of a witty signature to put here so just laugh anyway
charlierazor
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by charlierazor »

As the old saying for old and nice cars goes, "This item is like my wife. Great to look at, not to touch."

Course, it's been a while since I had a wife. ;)
albonia

Post by albonia »

If i find a bodyI would do it to see who died and then see if they needed help to get back to their body. Otherwise i would not do it.
NWDuneAuron

Post by NWDuneAuron »

The ICness of it is entirely dependent on your character. An assassin or a sneak-thief would probably be very interested in what a potential target/client owns, whereas a Paladin would be more likely to stand and guard without peeping.
Nightshade
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Nightshade »

I do it all the time. Mostly, I'm just curious. :)
slave_of_emotions
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by slave_of_emotions »

DarknessFallsLight wrote:Oh if it was an ally or mutual friend that fell in battle, rifling through their corpse before or after the fighting ended would be bad RP in my mind as its a lack of respect to that PC and a trust issue.

If you felled an enemy in CvC and you rifled through thier corpse then I think that would be perfectly normal. Of course I stress the "in CvC" part and not if they were felled by a hostile encounter or by a DM event in which the rifler and riflee were not on opposing sides on that instance.

Of course I stick to my firm belief that looting just to gain an item is low, dirty, and cheap. Looky is fine, nooo touchy ;)
and sometimes when you kill a 1-percenter you just want to see how uper that guy you just killed was :P
[url=http://www.dynasig.net/?id=2052][img]http://serve.dynasig.net/2052.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/a296/6_loverboy_9/NWN/]screenshots[/url][url=http://slaveofemotions.sl.funpic.de/mx/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=1]and more[/url]
T'Holoth Shadowborn

Think dune has a good point. Very dependent on the character.

Curiosity does have it's place, i remember someone sending me a tell cause they just snooped in a body and the person had 3 and in some cases for of each of his items. Thats not to say go head hunting :)

I'm personally fine with people snooping as long as their not going out of their way to do it int he middle of a battle or like before they even get their own corpse kinda thing.

Someones uber gear is likely going to be plot anyways :)
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

It pisses me off OOC'ly when after the battle is over, people run back to their corpse, pick up their belongings...then start snooping other peoples corpses. What other people carry around is none of your business, IMHO. When someone snoops one of my friends corpses, I will give them a warning to back away....if they don't listen, I'll kill them.

That's my friends body sitting there, you don't go rifling through his/her pockets looking at their stuff....atleast you won't when I'm standing there.
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

Usually, if I'm alone and I see a corpse, of coarse my immediate thought is "Look at corpse, identify player and send them a tell saying I'm guarding it."

If I'm with a group and we all gather 'round the body, I ask first if I can peak.
Odin Hammersong
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Odin Hammersong »

First and foremost to me is ICly handling it, like Dune said.

After that, IMHO it's fair game. Otherwise, where's the risk of leaving your crap on the ground because you died? And where is a better time to RP your character being a real scumbag? It's supposed to suck, and it's supposed to mean you can have stuff looted. Every player standing around that corpse is going "Glad it's not me".

Unfortunately, with so many folks in CoPaP and the fading idea of personal accountability, this means that very shitty things can happen (like getting dry looted), and a looted player can have zero recourse if no one saw it.

So there has to be middle ground between harsh realism and fun. So we have gentlemen's agreements that basically say "dont mess with other people's stuff unless you're helping them and have their blessing". Through this we lose a bit of RP, but folks don't get bent out of shape about their items. It's a compromise in the name of more fun overall, and I think having less hard and fast rules(and more "letting the players deal with it themselves)" would allow more freedom for everyone to make up their own minds.

*two copper*

--Odin

PS

It's my opinion that death isn't feared enough in CoPaP. If i had it my way I'd have an XP penalty as well as open looting. Let em RP it out. :)
"All tryin' to do as we should, but that doesn't always rhyme with doin' what feels good"

[quote="micah ormane"]I'm dedicated? I just take your spells away then abandon you!

Muah ha ha! RP that, bitch![/quote]
teagirl03
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by teagirl03 »

I think it's ok if you are trying to find out who a person is, if you need to find some type of scroll or something to raise them...or if it's who your char. is. If you RP it out, that's fine....just don't go snooping for no reason whatsoever. Especially after a huge battle where everyone is running back to thier corpses. yeah to look at a body to see if it is you or not is ok, but not to go snooping through thier things. after a huge battle where you were just killed, I think you'd have more imortant things to worry about than other people's things. Cal has snooped before.. but it was all IC for her (she had specific reason) and would not just snoop to snoop in a general sense. I guess all's fair in love and war, but ya can't be just snooping through someone's things for no reason ;) it's just not good form people!
I thought we were having stove top? I want none of this soul toast!
Idonia

Post by Idonia »

With the new death system during DM events, ya'll won't have no time ter snoop!
Nightshade
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Nightshade »

*sighs* You simply can't make a blanket statement about this. My neutral evil assassin would bloody well snoop wherever he wanted, and if you told him off about it, you'd have to think about exactly where you wanted that dart to hit you.

Micho, however, is lawful, and thus doesn't snoop. (Besides, I DM Avlis. I can play voyeur all I want there. :wink: ) She might snoop if she was looking for something particular, like proof of allegiance, something stolen she was recovering, etc.
Days Awake
Resident DM Griefer

Post by Days Awake »

If it's all IC it's all good,and if you do snoop which 90% of people do why not emote it as the engine doesnt give any chance of letting it known you are as the looting does.But I will say this,if one of my characters better half happen's to get killed then it is only respectful to leave the corpse be and let the loved ones partner take of it,and by that I mean dont even step close to it.I've had this happen on a few occasions and it really irritates me to have it happend to me or watch it happen to someone else.So with that being said,since most everyone agree's it should be done IC then prepare for the concequences if I see anyone rooting through one of my characters loved ones corpse's and prepare to become one yourself as it is a disrespectful action,and that goes for even being within an arm's reach of it. :wink:
Sex is like a box of chocolates, sometimes your fingers get sticky! >=) -

Jskee:Jeezus, you're cuddly as a porcupine sometimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcBc9iwPN50&feature=related
LadyPhoenix77
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Whats the use of have names if you lose all your friends. That's where I'm from.

Post by LadyPhoenix77 »

I was going to respond way earlier but was a bit pressed for time. I've seen a few things mentioned. If I do the death run when dieing with a party and get back to multiple corpses there, like Fredegar said, can't tell what body is what until you open it, so sometimes it may take me 2-3 tries to find mine, same if I get raised around a group of bodies, or DM jump to body/area. But I know, at least in terms of me, with any of my characters, my gear comes first and foremost, mainly because I'm always worried about a server crash at the worst possible moment, while 3/4ths the party is dead during a DM event.

Other than that I really have to go with Days here, I normally know who is going to raise me, and as soon as I die, before I am even out of death travel I generally have 2-3 tells, depending on the party saying let me know when ready, or want a raise. Obviously with Tal, if Tedia is there, you know damn sure she is going to be coming to raise Tal and doctor her back up, and likewise if Tedia were to die, which is a truely rare occassion.

One thing that I wish people would remember or realize, that in the case with Tal, even butt naked dead she has a hide of close to 50, and the first thing I do when expecting a raise is stealth, so you aren't going to see me when I return. Why I say this, is that I happen to notice the most times that my inventory gets bugged, and I have to relog is when someone either has my death corpse open, when I open it up, or someone comes up and opens it while I am retriving my things.

Obviously in the general practice of raising etc, everyone is going to have certain people they raise first, with my characters, loved ones come first, followed by guild members, then close friends. Most the times there is only one or two that fit into any of those categories, but I try to watch around see where the corpses are and who is going to look at what, no since in doubling up looking at a corpse, so if someone is standing close by to it, and obviously has some way to raise, leave the corpse alone. Either the person there is raising or has already done so, remember it does take some people longer than others to get through death travel, I take a lot longer than most, but that's because I carry 35 bags, plus a number of things not in bags, takes a while to dump that all in a corpse.

If I come across a random body when I'm adventuring somewhere, I'll see who it belongs to and see if they are still online, if so, I offer help, if not I'll browse through see if there is anything that they might miss, like a powerful item, if so I'll take and hold on to, but that rarely happens, most bodies that I find with the player not still on are new characters, with starting gear and maybe a couple other things nothing that would be worth stealing by a looter, and not worth my while to pick up to hold for the player. Even though Tal is a rogue, and MAY be a thief, definately not staling from a players corpse, unless I killed them myself and it would be IC appropriate to do so, I've nosed around in inventories before when I found a death corpse but to me it doesn't matter that much, mainly curiosity. But like some said, most peoples best gear is tagged nowadays so it's going to be staying with them in death, so there isn't much left for the curious mind.

Most my characters have some ablity to raise, either scroll or wand, so the only reason I need to look in a corpse is to see who it belongs to. One word of warning though, don't raise in the middle of combat with enemy spellcasters, I don't want to be deathplanned again while I am in the middle of picking up my gear. And in CvC better not be anyone attacking a PC picking up their gear, though now this shouldn't be as much of a problem with the new system we are going to be using. But since every CvC or such situation may not be in a DM event, I'm still putting out this warning. Don't raise people if there is an immedete chance they will get deathplanned again. Not everyone can be stealthed or invisible when raised. Myself as soon as I load up the Halls of Ysgard I am ready for a raise, and don't even mind if it is in combat, but not with a epic level mage casting spells still, stealth doesn't save me froma horrid wilting, weird or wail. And don't even get me started about attacking someone who is picking up their gear, just I better not catch anyone doing such.

Anyways I'm rambling on now almost on a different subject so I will leave it at that.
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

as long as its done IC, I can't see any problem with it... but then I think the same about looting (even dry looting).
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

To me, this is something both IC and OOC.

IC'ly, there are certain people i would expect to nose through my corpse for IC reasons. But.. having said that, those players would have to know that while some of them i would tolerate, others would be in for a world of hurt should i IC'ly catch them doing it. A lot of this would come down to who my PC's would trust and who they would believe would have an alterior motive.

OOC'ly, on a personal note, i don't like the idea of it at all. There are always occasions when it can't really be avoided... I've picked up the belongings of numerous people at one time of another because either they couldn't get back to their corpse, or they'd had to log.
Again, there are certain players i have no objection with going through my corpse and they know who they are.
If it's an instance where it's to retrieve a raise dead scroll from my corpse or such like, then i would already have sent someone a tell to say it's there. What i wouldn't appreciate is someone rummaging through the corpse on the offchance that there might be one there.
The one other occasion, which again has been stated, is when you come back to a mass of corpses on the floor and have to click on a few to find your own. Again, unavoidable.

Just my two cents.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
T'Holoth Shadowborn

I don't really think many people look at this from an in character point of view. Maybe they do but I never diud.
I've looked at a lot of corpses and the last thing going through my mind was what my character was thinking. (Which is bad I know)
The idea of rifling through someones dead body to see what they have ICly just strikes me as creepy though I guess an evil character would be interested in what a possible enemy has.
Then again, a character without any lore points wouldnt technically be able to tell the difference between bracers AC1 and bracers of blinding speed but thats getting a little crazy into RP.

All in all I guess what bugs me the most (did i mention that already?) is when characters go out of their way to snoop in your corpse, say, in the middle of a huge fight. Everyone is going to be curious but thats just rude.

BTW, if everyone carried raise dead scrolls you'd have an IC reason to snoop! :wink: