Summon Planar Creature

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Summon Planar Creature

Post by Druid523 »

I was rereading Arkon's post on the proper response to summoning as per the spells Gate, Planar Ally, Planar Binding and Greater Planar Binding.
Arkon wrote:Note on the Gate Changes.....

Gate is a Compulsion spell... as are Planar Ally, Planar Binding and Greater Planar Binding.

What does this mean to you as a player? It means this... You are compelling a creature to come into the Plane of Ysgard from another plane... quite possibly while they are having dinner or something, in order to aid you. As such, you should expect, that in the case of good creatures, they are going to be coming expecting a fight or something...

This has been pretty much let go in the past... but I think it's high time we start pushing it...

Effective nowish... If you summon a planar just for the purpose of parading it around, showing off, whatever... expect your alignment to reflect the fact that you are abusing a creature from another plane that has come to offer you aid (or in the case of a Balor... it really doesn't matter cause you are already evil).

Think of it this way... would you want to be ripped from your game of pin the tail on the jackass and sucked into a plane that is foreign to you only to be paraded around and shown off? Neither do they.
Now...what is the ruling (should this be posted under rulings???) on the psionic power: Summon Planar Creature. According to the Psionics Wiki:
Psionics Wiki wrote: This power allows the psionicist to reach into another plane, grab whatever he happens to find there, and teleport it to his own plane. A magical summons offers some control over a planar creature, and usually returns that creature to its home automatically. This psionic power does neither; it merely teleports something. To be rid of the creature, the psionicist must banish it, teleport it again, kill it, or control it somehow. If the creature is intelligent, the psionicist might reason with it. However, the creature may fly into a murderous rage when it discovers its plight.
And whenever this power is used, there is a random chance (though with creatures with opposite alignments [Scel never seems to be able to get a Planetar to help, for example] it seems to be 100% failure) to get the creature to help you. I believe the two messages one can get are something along the lines of: "they seem upset for being summoned" and "they agree to help". And that's a big assumption on my part in regards to the wording "agree to help". If that is the case, then this creature is actually agreeing to help and is not being forced against its will. But what are the team's and players' thoughts on this.

-Scel
"The ways in which they are different are maybe more visible but less important than the ways in which they are alike." -Rudiki about Alexis and Sceluscio

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Sceluscio_Potementia]Scel's Wiki Entry[/url]
Final Shinryuu
Newb of the Year: First Place

Post by Final Shinryuu »

This psionic power has no compulsion component. That's why some of them attack, you aren't controlling them in any way. If you want to do that, try summoning them then using the Domination power. =P
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

Psionic power is treated the same way as the others are.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
micah ormane
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by micah ormane »

I remember once in my PnP campaign, the dipshit playing the cleric gated in a 40 HD solar. I think the conversation went like this:

"40 HD Solar: *enraged* Who dares to call the mighty [enter name] from his divine deeds?!

Dipshit: It is I, [enter name], cleric of [enter name], and I have need of your assistance!

40HDS: *looks at Dipshit's foe, who just happens to be something along the lines of a CR 25 dragon. The solar stares incredulously.*

Dipshit: Slay that dragon mighty solar!

40HDS: You called me away from single handedly fending off an entire legion of the abyss from destroying Celestia for a PATHETIC DRAGON?!

Dragon: ...

Dipshit: Fek. *releases Solar*

Dragon: *Pwns Party*"
Druid523
Wiki Pioneer

Post by Druid523 »

Thanks for the input!
"The ways in which they are different are maybe more visible but less important than the ways in which they are alike." -Rudiki about Alexis and Sceluscio

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Sceluscio_Potementia]Scel's Wiki Entry[/url]