On Death Penalty

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Arkon
World Leader

On Death Penalty

Post by Arkon »

The new death penalty system has been added. This was done to promote partying up instead of trying to solo everything.

Level based
1-5 = no loss

6+ will lose a certain amount of XP and Gold per level.

The death penalty is 100% avoidable. If you are raised, you will not incure the penalty. However, if you walk out of the death plane, on your own. You will receive the penalty, and there is no way to get it back once it hits.
Last edited by Arkon on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Starslayer_D
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Starslayer_D »

What about people on at non-peak hours, or dying on their lonesome?

Out of luck?
Wait 2 hours for people to reach them or log on?

Will resurection/raise scrolls work again without UMD check?
What if the cleric is dead?

I hope this is ok to be asked here, else I move my concerns to an indicated forum.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

I may be wrong, but AKAIK the raise dead scrolls on Hala aren't class specific, so anyone can use them.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

If you are alone, I recommend you stay in areas where death is highly unlikely. As far as raise dead/rez,

In order to combat the issue of UMD, I have made a raise dead rod that works the same way the rod of Res does. It SHOULD be useable by all. It is currently sold in two places in the mod.

I may also lower the XP penalty some in the near future. Right now the Death Penalty is still in beta.
Final Shinryuu
Newb of the Year: First Place

Post by Final Shinryuu »

I like this idea quite a bit. Some penalty associated with death will make it a more serious matter to some people.
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

Yes, this is the best thing to happen to Hala since Wyland Dandafar lost his spells.

"Very good! Very Very GOOD!"
Lir'ana

Post by Lir'ana »

If I am not mistaken raise dead scrolls work for everyone unless it has been changed. My drow has been using them since like 2nd or 3rd lvl and he isn't a magic user of any sort.
And on a side note this is great. This way people have to take dieing seriously atleast more than how they have been. Also people who do alot of PvP better make sure they can raise people incase of an accidental dp.
teagirl03
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by teagirl03 »

Yeah I think it's a great idea. I"ve died already once, and let me tell you it's not fun. It will definately make people think twice about going somewhere on thier own that is a bit difficult for them. Adds more to the game, and will definately make sure people think twice about what they do and where they go without a party.
I thought we were having stove top? I want none of this soul toast!
Final Shinryuu

Post by Final Shinryuu »

Question:
Can the XP loss from the death system de-level a character? If so, it should probably be changed, to prevent deliberately using it as a means of deleveling, rerolling HP, or redoing sorcerer spells. I know that this was a consideration with the Avlis death system.
Starslayer_D

Post by Starslayer_D »

*sigh* Most places are deadly to low gear non epics.. *vanishe back into the library to go baty*

/me is a bit.. depressed... sorry. Found myself recently allmost allways soemwhere pretty alone.
albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by albonia »

Yes it is a major problem now for people who are in GMT +0 or GMT +1 timezones. Often i can log on and be the only person on the server. So there is no way you can party up with anybody.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

Hala isn't like it used to be. There are a number of areas where low level characters can still do pretty good. Nantes Mines, Beetle Caves, Goblins on Felmorian Road, Ants in White Wood, The cave in Sagrin Jelf, etc.

I am also looking for ideas for nice low level quests to put into the server (static quests) as well as some nice ones that make you hunt the server. And xp won't be the only prize you get for accomplishing these :D
Idonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by Idonia »

Arkon wrote:Hala isn't like it used to be. There are a number of areas where low level characters can still do pretty good. Nantes Mines, Beetle Caves, Goblins on Felmorian Road, Ants in White Wood, The cave in Sagrin Jelf, etc.

I am also looking for ideas for nice low level quests to put into the server (static quests) as well as some nice ones that make you hunt the server. And xp won't be the only prize you get for accomplishing these :D
*Cough?*
[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=PCs:Lily]Lily[/url]
Final Shinryuu

Post by Final Shinryuu »

And maybe the penalty should be relaxed or negated for levels 1-3?
New characters on Hala will still die, and that will make it very tough to get past level one.
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

Final Shinryuu wrote:And maybe the penalty should be relaxed or negated for levels 1-3?
New characters on Hala will still die, and that will make it very tough to get past level one.
I agree. Teagirl and I helped a newb in the Beetle caves for an hour yesterday due to this exact reason...they kept dying and losing their xp. Atleast relax it for level 1?
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

The reason it is there at all is because the script builder i used required it. It can be removed.. but as it's only 10 xp 10 gold... you can get more than that back just by turning in 1 beetle juice...
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

Arkon wrote:The reason it is there at all is because the script builder i used required it. It can be removed.. but as it's only 10 xp 10 gold... you can get more than that back just by turning in 1 beetle juice...
Yes, but the beetles spawn in 3's, and for a first level char...that's hard to beat. IMHO.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

I've never had beetles spawn in threes for me at level 1
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Me neither, Ryk still spanws two at times and hes lvl 8, My thoughts,
I agree that low lvls may find it hard, so perhaps give lvls 1-3 a bit of a break, also noticed that a just barely lvl 11 char got hit with quite a whopping hit, I actually kind of like that this has been implemented, but numbering systems might be tweaked as you mentioned, so we shall have to see, My suggestion would be to add more of a curve, but seems on a good track, I like the fact that its completely avoidable, as I party alot, ((have no choice with some of my chars)) so it makes little difference anyways. Thanks for the good work in the team being so understanding and informative, and keep up the excellent work.
MuckTheWizard
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by MuckTheWizard »

Seems a tad harsh when you already have to run to your corpse to get all your stuff back. But that's JMO.

It's already nigh impossible to level without days of nonstop activity.
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

Arkon wrote:I've never had beetles spawn in threes for me at level 1
I guess the DM love just follows my chars. *sighs like a celestial* :twisted:
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

MuckTheWizard wrote:Seems a tad harsh when you already have to run to your corpse to get all your stuff back. But that's JMO.

It's already nigh impossible to level without days of nonstop activity.
Up until now, Hala was the only world that had no death penalty added in. This death penalty more mirrors the penalty in PnP.

You get raised, you get no penalty. It's really quite simple... stay where you know you can survive.. or party up with someone who can raise you.

btw... check the numbers again from the beginning of this thread... the entire system has been lowered...
Traces Of Reality

Post by Traces Of Reality »

Jskee wrote:
Arkon wrote:The reason it is there at all is because the script builder i used required it. It can be removed.. but as it's only 10 xp 10 gold... you can get more than that back just by turning in 1 beetle juice...
Yes, but the beetles spawn in 3's, and for a first level char...that's hard to beat. IMHO.
I have a couple lowbies that go beetle hunting sometimes and the only amount I ever see are 1-2 at a time. The only reason you prolly saw 3 spawn mostly is because there's a higher lvl character down there too. I noticed that when Fylian went down there with a lowbie pal of mine. Yuppers :wink:
[size=150][b]♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫[/b][/size]
▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
Min- - - - - - - - - - - -●Max
http://youtu.be/Bx95X4tVCqg
Traces Of Reality

Post by Traces Of Reality »

Oh, and the penalty is indeedy a good idea. It's kinda realistic in a way too, if you ask me.... you die - you lose some life (i.e: your xp). It also encourages more RP.

One question though, if you're in a PvP situation and you dp someone, would it be considered griefing if your character doesn't raise the punk they killed? It's not something I would likely do because I'm not really trying to be a meanie or anything but it just kinda made me wonder. :?
[size=150][b]♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫[/b][/size]
▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
Min- - - - - - - - - - - -●Max
http://youtu.be/Bx95X4tVCqg
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

It would depend on the circumstances. The Gentleman/gentlewomanly way would be to raise them, but it is not required nor expected. Feel free to make them hoof it, just beware of potential griefing complaints.