smithster
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

The deep gnome Da Vinci code

Post by smithster »

Quote from World Information forum:

{Deep Gnome

Base: Gnome

Favored Class: Wizard

Stats:-2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Wis, -4 Cha. Darkvision, Cause Blindness (1/day), Blur (displacement 1/day), Change Self (Eagle's Splendor 1/day). Stonecunning, Nondetection, +4 dodge bonus against all creatures, +2 bonus on all saving throws, Small Stature, Hardiness Vs. Illusions, Offensive Training vs. Reptilians, Offensive Training vs. Goblinoids, Defensive Training vs. Giants, Skill Affinity Listen, Skill Affinity Concentration, Spell Focus Illusion. +4 racial bonus to hide. ECL 3.

The Deep Gnomes (Svirfneblin) are a subrace of gnomes from the Underdark. They are quick and perceptive, yet suspicious and reclusive to an extreme. Svirfneblin have gnarled physiques, brown or gray skin, gray eyes, and gray hair (although males are often bald). They tend to be sullen, withdrawn, and suspicious to a fault.

The deep gnomes may be the among the stealthiest and most elusive of races. Centuries upon centuries of surviving the deadly perils of the Underdark have bred in this race an amazing gift for avoiding attention. In their cavern homes they are nearly undetectable with magic. Even in the strange and threatening (to them) surface world, the deep gnomes' natural stealth makes them difficult to spot or catch.

[Source: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting by Greenwood, Reynolds, Williams, and Heinsoo, published by Wizards of the Coast, page 11-13.]}

Obviously, I am a total newbie here. As such, I thought that a race that is hard to detect and hard to hit might be a good choice for exploring Hala, even given the penalties to the attributes. To make sure that I understood how deep gnome worked, I made a basic gnome fighter with:

ST 14
DX 12
CO 16
IQ 12
WI 10
CH 12

I then tried the character creator and eventually deciphered how to make it operate. Right before the creator "explodes" the model, it says that you must wait 10 seconds to log back on (this makes sense) and says you should talk to the creator again when you do log back on to get race specific items. After the explosion and log out, I waited a good five minutes and then logged back in.
I tried to talk to the character generator about those race specific items, but the only conversation option was to quit.
The stats of my new deep gnome appeared to be correct, based on what is posted in the World Information forum:

ST 14 (no change because gnome already gets -2)
DX 10 (-2 adjustment)
CO 14 (going from +2 for gnome to no adjustment for deep gnome)
IQ 12 (no adjustment)
WI 12 (+2 adjustment for deep gnome)
CH 8 (-4 adjustment for deep gnome)

My class levels were humanoid (3)/fighter (1), which made sense given the ECL.
My hit points were 18, which took me a bit of time to decipher. My best guess is that I got 10 for the fighter level, 0 for each humanoid level, and 2 for CO bonus times my four levels. Does that make sense to anyone else?
My AB was 5, which would seem to correspond to 2 for ST, 1 for the fighter level, and 2 for the three humanoid levels, though I am not sure why the humanoid levels give AB, but not hp.
The strangest thing, though, was that I had a 10 armor class. It seems to me that the basic trade off for deep gnome is the attribute penalties (ouch), the ECL of 3 (big ouch), the +4 dodge AC (big yeah), and the +2 saves (yeah). Based on my AC of 10 and my reflex save of 1 (I assume the 1 comes from the 3 humanoid levels), it appeared that neither the AC nor the saves were being applied.
I am sure I am just missing something, but just in case there was a problem, I thought I would report the situation. For now I think I will just explore with a human. :) This deep gnome stuff is too complex for me brain to handle. :?
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

My hit points were 18, which took me a bit of time to decipher. My best guess is that I got 10 for the fighter level, 0 for each humanoid level, and 2 for CO bonus times my four levels. Does that make sense to anyone else?
10 from fighter, 4 levels at +2 from your con and no bonus for ECL levels is correct.
My AB was 5, which would seem to correspond to 2 for ST, 1 for the fighter level, and 2 for the three humanoid levels, though I am not sure why the humanoid levels give AB, but not hp.
'Cos they do, frankly.
The strangest thing, though, was that I had a 10 armor class. It seems to me that the basic trade off for deep gnome is the attribute penalties (ouch), the ECL of 3 (big ouch), the +4 dodge AC (big yeah), and the +2 saves (yeah). Based on my AC of 10 and my reflex save of 1 (I assume the 1 comes from the 3 humanoid levels), it appeared that neither the AC nor the saves were being applied.
I'm not sure why this is.

Deep Gnome is such an underused race that problems with it sometimes don't show up for ages. Thanks for pointing this out, and someone will take a look at it.. eventually.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

AC and Save additions are added onto the hide of a creature... It is likely that this is one of the races that had the hide get messed up upon and update somewhere along the line. I'll pull a recent copy of the mod and see if I can find the problem.

As Dune said, this is a very little used race so likely something that slipped through the cracks for a very long time.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
smithster

Post by smithster »

Arkon wrote:AC and Save additions are added onto the hide of a creature... It is likely that this is one of the races that had the hide get messed up upon and update somewhere along the line. I'll pull a recent copy of the mod and see if I can find the problem.

As Dune said, this is a very little used race so likely something that slipped through the cracks for a very long time.
Thank you for looking at this for a newbie! I would love to be the only deep gnome running around given the RP possibilities. Of course, I am sure I will learn why others do not play the race. :shock: *pictures numerous trips to the death plane*
Jskee
Dead man walking...

Post by Jskee »

smithster wrote:I would love to be the only deep gnome running around given the RP possibilities....
There is one other deep gnome that I am aware of...and fairly new. :)
charlierazor
Knight of the Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by charlierazor »

regardless of race, the dms are very fair and equal opportunity employers of death. Gnome or otherwise, join the rest of us, in the "dead meat" program. ;)
-Charlie
Aquilifer

Post by Aquilifer »

*chuckles* If it takes the DMs to take you down, you are doing pretty well. Ursadin regularly runs across pre-placed monsters who consider him a nice big snack.
"To change your mind and to follow him who sets you right is to be nonetheless the free agent that you were before."

Marcus Aurelius
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

Say hello to death for me. =) and welcome to Hala =)
Why do they call him Boris the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bulltes Avi!
Zeddikhus

Post by Zeddikhus »

Welcome aboard (from another (relative) newbie)

Ahh...The exotic races. Such fun they can be. The RP opportunities, the chances to delve into a non-standard race and their histories and the joy of playing something different...

Also, a chance for the DMs to go..."Hmm...Deep Gnome! havent killed one of them before...Sweet."

Enjoy Hala.
Character is what you are in the dark.
-Dwight L. Moody

The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.
-Albert Einstein
Samshiex

Post by Samshiex »

Was also thinking about trying a deep gnome as my first character on Hala and saw this post. Do the deep gnomes still lack the AC and saves? Thanks.
wyldhunt

Post by wyldhunt »

I made a deep gnome about a week ago, and never bothered to look at his stats and such since I was mostly making him for RP potential... Never occured to me that something may be missing...
After reading this post and looking a bit closer, here is what I have:
The stat bonuses/minuses all worked properly except for Dexterity, which was applied as +2 instead of -2.
None of the racial items were given automatically, though a DM gave them to me.
None of the skill bonuses are showing.
The AC bonus isn't there.
I have no racial feats at all. Even the base gnome feats are missing. I only have the wizard feats like familiar and such. Not even darkvision and the basics show up.
I did notice that I had SR though.
The ELC of 3 worked flawlessly...
So... Basically, I got my attributes mixed up a bit, Spell Resistance, and a 3 lvl penalty.
Of course, the RP is great, so I don't mind much.

EDIT:
I noticed that the SR comes and goes... Not sure where it comes from, but I don't think I own any items that give it to me... Since it leaves though, I doubt it's connected to my race. <Shrug>
Last edited by wyldhunt on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gdmod69

Post by gdmod69 »

:shock: i play a deep gnome "Rippi" but he is lost at the moment in avlis but as soon as he finds his way home you'll see him in mitho rest :D
"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

EDIT:
I noticed that the SR comes and goes... Not sure where it comes from, but I don't think I own any items that give it to me... Since it leaves though, I doubt it's connected to my race. <Shrug>
Your hide. You gain it on login but it disappears on death or rest. Any old school drow can tell you about this one. *Looks at Dyers*
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

NWDuneAuron wrote:
EDIT:
Your hide. You gain it on login but it disappears on death or rest. Any old school drow can tell you about this one. *Looks at Dyers*
I had a similar problem with Rykolyn, But it's since been fixed. Not sure if it's due to same issue, or another completely.
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
smithster

Post by smithster »

Did try my deep gnome again and now he has the AC on Ysgard, but not on Hala. He has SR on both servers. I will try to figure the rest of it out. 8)
wyldhunt

Post by wyldhunt »

I'm using Ysgard as my test area as I fix hide issues. So, at any given moment, Ysgard'll likely have fewer bugs. If a problem exists on Hala, but seems fixed on Ysgard, then it's a known problem that's fixed. We're just running it over there to test it in case the 'fix' starts deleting everyones racial hides or turning them into bald naked dwarves... Less potential mess that way.
smithster

Post by smithster »

Character creator does not seem to be working. Tried to make a deep gnome, but after exploding and being logged off, when I came back five minutes later he was still a gnome. Tried on both servers with the same result.
smithster

Post by smithster »

wyldhunt wrote:I'm using Ysgard as my test area as I fix hide issues. So, at any given moment, Ysgard'll likely have fewer bugs. If a problem exists on Hala, but seems fixed on Ysgard, then it's a known problem that's fixed. We're just running it over there to test it in case the 'fix' starts deleting everyones racial hides or turning them into bald naked dwarves... Less potential mess that way.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense of what I saw.