Happy Thanksgiving

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Redda
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Happy Thanksgiving

Post by Redda »

Happy Thanksgiving Hala.

I’m not American, so this holiday was foreign to me at first, but I got it after my first one.

That was when I was at Fort Hood in Texas, and Manny was in Iraq. I was lucky enough to be accepted into a group of exceptional Army Wives, and their families…and my first Thanksgiving was spent with them and their kids, eating a thanksgiving dinner in the chow hall on Post.

What I got out of that was, well, to be honest, a thundering headache as I seemed to be everyone’s honorary auntie…..but what I really got out of that experience was that these women….wives looking after the kids while their dad’s were in harms way…were all sharing Thanksgiving together THERE, together…..not off at their various families, where would be more typical.

It was as if, an unspoken agreement had been made….that our soldiers were being deprived of their traditional family Thanksgiving, and so we would, somehow, being sharing their lot if we stuck together and made our own Thanksgiving too.

Maybe I am not describing or expressing this in quite the way I feel it. What I am trying to say is that…..there are THOUSANDS of families now doing the same thing this year, silently, not making a fuss about being separated from loved ones and these people are just as much heroes of this country as the men and women serving us overseas.

I get it now…..I am truly thankful for having my husband home and safe…..I am thankful that another good friend has just returned from Iraq, safe and well….that T’holoth (Grant) is temporarily home and safe for a short while, that our best friend in Bagdad is safe and well at this time too.

Maybe for most people, the men and women in out military are just numbers, I can put a face and name to some and somehow that changes the whole.

Please, if you are giving thanks to whatever powers that be that you believe in, add thanks for being safe and home, and send a pray to those who are not.

My respect and honor goes out to all that are not home with us for Thanksgiving. Be well guys and gals.
Dengar
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Dengar »

I'm no DM... but F'N Bump! From a Dead Red Dwarf!
Why do they call him Boris the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bulltes Avi!
VIpAcT
Veteran DM

Post by VIpAcT »

Amen.
[size=75]<Sarmanoloth> I should have went Dirty Harry with the Solar
<Sarmanoloth> "See this? Its a Celestial crafted greatsword with three runes of enchanted and loaded with Holy Avenger Caliber magic. So I have to ask you a question? Do you feel lucky? Punk?" [/size]
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

Very true Redda.

A HUGE thank you to all our service members whether overseas or here in the states. The sacrifice you make daily does not go unnoticed, nor unappreciated. I for one am very Thankful for you.

OhhRah and Semper Fidelis

Mark
Gone
Jenai
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Jenai »

Readda,
I know how you feel. Though my husband Corwin was not gone for thanksgiving he did have to twice once to kuwait and once to Iraq. I have a lot to be thankful for. Even so I wish to give my deepest thanks to thoose who are STILL away from home. To corwin Manny, Arkon and all of our service members I say thankyou.
Jenai/Melissa
Once a marine always a marine!
ChukchiDog
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by ChukchiDog »

VERY well said, Redda.
Mephistophelina
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Mephistophelina »

Luvluv to Deskmerc, who staved off the RED COMMIE THREAT by becoming a paid gub'mint assassin who drove tanks, asploded stuff, had stuff asploded at him, jumped out of perfectly good aircraft, and maybe worst of all... had to eat MRE's.

He is mah hero, way cooler than Kex could ever be on his best day of bamf-ing, and as god as my witness, he has never gone hungry again!

Hoo-ah!

- M.
"Give me chastity and continence, but not yet." [i]-Saint Augustine [/i]

"I placed his corpse on a spike so that it may rot above the ground, and not leave a lasting stain upon it." -- Deskmerc; [i]Journey from The Silver Void[/i]

"Dune was riding me..." - Wyldstallyon (a.k.a. Wyldhunt)
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

HEY! MRE's aren't that bad! I actually enjoyed some of them
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Mephistophelina
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Mephistophelina »

Arkon wrote:HEY! MRE's aren't that bad! I actually enjoyed some of them
Deskmerc says the same thing.

*shudder* Powdered meat.

- M.
"Give me chastity and continence, but not yet." [i]-Saint Augustine [/i]

"I placed his corpse on a spike so that it may rot above the ground, and not leave a lasting stain upon it." -- Deskmerc; [i]Journey from The Silver Void[/i]

"Dune was riding me..." - Wyldstallyon (a.k.a. Wyldhunt)
darkserra
Craftmaster

Post by darkserra »

Some of my best friends were MREs,

Hey Arkon, remember the dehydrated pork patty.. or the tuna with noodles??
-- [i]People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.[/i]
George Orwell
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

tuna with noodles, i liked that one. My favorite was the Chili Mac. Put your cheese and crumble up some crakers, tobacco sauce. that actually taste good :D
Gone
Odin Hammersong
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Odin Hammersong »

corwink wrote:tobacco sauce. that actually taste good :D
:shock:
"All tryin' to do as we should, but that doesn't always rhyme with doin' what feels good"

[quote="micah ormane"]I'm dedicated? I just take your spells away then abandon you!

Muah ha ha! RP that, bitch![/quote]
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

Doh, tobassco( sp?) sauce. dang it.
Gone