Can't log in, keep crashing?

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Can't log in, keep crashing?

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

Hey all,

I'm having a problem with NWN and I'm wondering if others have either had this problem or have some advice.

When I log NWN at certian places like the great bridge of ysgard or the south camp swamp areas I get an error report and NWN shuts down. When I try and relog in it keeps crashing. I can log into places like the start area fine, it just seems like some tansitions cause me to crash.

Is that common? It's happened periodically int he past bu now it's a constant.

Should I maybe reinstall the latest patch or should i pull NWN out completely and put it back in?
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Lir'ana
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Lir'ana »

This has been happening to me alot on a drow city area map ( the map just off the boat inbetween the underdeep and drow city) and sometimes on others. I have heard that a couple others have had the same prob. Best bet is to try logging in with a diffrent pc (amazingly enough you will find you log right in no error). Log back out restart your rig and try to get back in with the orig pc. As I said I have this problem with one drow city map inparticular but it has been happening on other maps as well. A couple times after trying to log in over 15x I dry log into the other server just so my pc will load in without erroring. Its getting damn annoying so if anyone actually knows a fix for this that would be wonderful.
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

I've had this problem. Sometimes changing your graphics settings, Usually the texture quality. helps. I had to do that over on Avlis with their Visimontium maps. I could log in with the graphics all the way down. but cranked them up, and I'd sometimes crash so bad I couldn't log in. Another thing to do is to re-download the haks, They can become corrupted.
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Lir'ana

Post by Lir'ana »

Bah. Updating my rig within the week so will just re-download everything instead of copy'ing over.
[b]"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."[/b] - [i]General MacArthur [/i]
Lir'ana

Post by Lir'ana »

Would like to mention that Vildur/Slogth has been having the same problem and I am positive that his rig can handle the graphics and some. So do not think this is a graphics error. I use to have that error as well back in the day with one of the tilesets and this is diffrent. It can happen on any map. I just find it happens to me alot on the same map.
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

Lir'ana wrote:Would like to mention that Vildur/Slogth has been having the same problem and I am positive that his rig can handle the graphics and some. So do not think this is a graphics error. I use to have that error as well back in the day with one of the tilesets and this is diffrent. It can happen on any map. I just find it happens to me alot on the same map.
I didn't mean that, that's kind of irrelevant.

It's a error within the textures themselves. And the drivers chip sets.
You could have a top of the line computer, and it still likes to crash. I have a really good vid card,and memory setup, and it still crashes me sometimes. The reason why it happens on certain maps more then others, is there's a certain part of the wire frame/textures that is causing extra strain on the vid card's resources. Some bigger and better cards last longer, but it's almost inevitable. It is different then a corrupted Mirador tile set or something, since it doesn't cause protection faults. Sometimes it just kicks straight out of NWN, no error, just acts like it quits.
Different cards seem to have a different rate at which it happens. My old card did it alot less specifically, but more often. My new one, rarely does it, but certain maps, give me hell, Changing the tile set's texture level helps, It's like that old bug that used to cause cave-ceiling override hak users to crash when moving the mouse over a door-transition.) It's not a hardware issue, it's software.
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]