Ruling request on Monks glowing eyes and hoods/helms

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Thrulia
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Ruling request on Monks glowing eyes and hoods/helms

Post by Thrulia »

This has been causing me no end of problems lately and so I would like to request a ruling from the Hala staff on whether Monk's Glowing eyes can be identified while they wear a helm or hood, because they show through most I wear. I have seen it said that when a hood is on you cannot be identified unless you specifically allow yourself to be so..

Could we get a definitive ruling on this?
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

<@LostCause> That depends on how they're emoting it.. if they're emoting that the hood is concealing their face, you can't see the eyes... if not, you will see the glow
Basically, it's up to the one wearing the hood/helm to put the effort in, much like a disguised voice.
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Thrulia
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by Thrulia »

Thank you for the quick reply. I will ensure this is done from now on then.
blue wolfy
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by blue wolfy »

THanks, That helps me as too as I was always told that Coran's eye COULD be seen thru hoods and masks no mater what. With the possible exception, as a changling, she was in a stotic form that didnt show the glow eyes, though never got a clear answer on that.
Sable
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Sable »

well... to be fair, in order to see light must be able to pass in and out to your eyes. Therefore, for no light to be visible (your glowing eyes not to be seen), you must either have heavily obscured vision (and be emoting as much) or be effectively blind (and be emoting as much).

The deep hood obscuring the face is a great literary object, but in reality its a real pain in the butt. And even in the most dramatic of stories, eyes can usually be seen "glittering" from under said hood (really don't know why writers are so attached to that imagery).
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
blue wolfy

Post by blue wolfy »

a 'shadowed' hood implies the face is in darkness, for a monk their eyes emit light, so even hooded it should be seen, now as for helms with slits for the eyes, again the light from a monk would show thru. Masks however that cover the entire face/head, like the tiger maskwold mask etc that have lenses/glass eyes, to see thu. those I say would hide the monk eyes.
Xanthalas
Loremaster

Post by Xanthalas »

While I agree with Sable's logic, however, Mr. Wolfy, to see through lenses, or glass eyes, would require passage of light, again, applying Sable's logic.

Furthermore, this is a fantasy setting.

Monks have glowing eyes, not light-emitters.. A monk in total darkness, is still subject to the darkness, their eyes are not a light source, So in fact, one could reason that NWN/Bioware's representation of said Glowing Eyes, is flawed, and subject to discretion, as is posted by Psye, who left it up to the monk to actively deal with.

I would think that the actual effect, desired in a fantasy realm, for the "Glowing" eyes, is representative of inner focus, that is linked to the Monk's abilities and mannerisms, and such focus and power, may be, perhaps, controllable. And so if monk so wishes, to actively, hide their identity, or at least, presence, so much as to hide their eyes. Us fellow players, should support that, with appropriate RP, again, as per Psye's ruling.
[i]I live yet do not live in me,
am waiting as my life goes by,
and die because I do not die.
- St John of the Cross.[/i]

[url=http://wiki.ysgard.org/index.php?title=User:Xanthalas][size=75]WIKI INFO[/size][/url]
Dengar

Post by Dengar »

Xanthalas wrote:While I agree with Sable's logic, however, Mr. Wolfy, to see through lenses, or glass eyes, would require passage of light, again, applying Sable's logic.

Furthermore, this is a fantasy setting.

Monks have glowing eyes, not light-emitters.. A monk in total darkness, is still subject to the darkness, their eyes are not a light source, So in fact, one could reason that NWN/Bioware's representation of said Glowing Eyes, is flawed, and subject to discretion, as is posted by Psye, who left it up to the monk to actively deal with.

I would think that the actual effect, desired in a fantasy realm, for the "Glowing" eyes, is representative of inner focus, that is linked to the Monk's abilities and mannerisms, and such focus and power, may be, perhaps, controllable. And so if monk so wishes, to actively, hide their identity, or at least, presence, so much as to hide their eyes. Us fellow players, should support that, with appropriate RP, again, as per Psye's ruling.

Well said my friend, well said.
Why do they call him Boris the bullet dodger?

Because he dodges bulltes Avi!