Psionics

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Psionics

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

I have a few questions about Psions

First if a power check fails does the psion lose all of the PSPs required for the power or does he only lose half?

Second, is there any power that a character can take that may be used in RP to read the thoughts of NPCs? Obviously this won't work for PC to PC but it might work PC to NPC.
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

#1 no idea, ask a psion or check when you fail

#2 No, there isn't, and won't be so far as I have been told.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!

Post by Guest »

Since we go by the DnD spellbook system if psions get a "surface thought reading" type spell like wiz/sorcs do then you can use that in a DM quest or somesuch. It won't be scripted, however, and likely not supported outside of DM events or hala.
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

though keep in mind that anyone who is immune to mind spells would not be suceptable to this.
Drakuul
Veteran DM

Post by Drakuul »

First if a power check fails does the psion lose all of the PSPs required for the power or does he only lose half?

Second, is there any power that a character can take that may be used in RP to read the thoughts of NPCs? Obviously this won't work for PC to PC but it might work PC to NPC.
1# Half the power is used in a failed attempt

2# There's no real "Read surface thoughts" ability of Psions.
I think, therefore I am right. QED.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Just having a nose through some of the old forums again and had a thought while reading this one....

While I agree that the idea of Psions being able to read minds would be both an OOC and IC nightmare to actually implement and thus a bad idea, would it be possible that to create and item that allows psions to talk to other psions telepathically - much in the same way that one is used for different languages - Draconic, animal, drow etc

The speech could simply be a series of lines on the screen (again similar to when someone is speaking animal) with a simple message being displayed of 'Player X is communicating telepathically'. It would be obvious to any reasonably perceptive person around when they are talking to each other through facial expression, or the fact they may be looking at them...

Since all psions are able to tap into normal peoples minds, it would only be a small jump for them to actually speak to each other this way. On this note they would also have to be in sight of each other....

If necessary this could only be allowed at a certain level so that the psion would definitely have enough control over their power to be able to focus this way...

Just an idea and would be interested to know what people think....

Cheers :D
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

reads the posts and walks away grumbling

bloody psions... give them some fruity powers and they want the world....
ApproachingWinter
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by ApproachingWinter »

And I'll give 1000 XP to the first Psion I see who actually RPs playing a Psion, and I know it's a safe bet because none have ever done it nor likely will.
“Divine being creates petting zoo. It gets out of hand.”
- The Bible (summarised by John W. Mangrum)

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849), "Eleonora"

Characters: Kal Shadowhand, Streea Arisa.
micah ormane
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by micah ormane »

I actually know a guy who did, and did well. His lowbie wizard was going about his business when psionics came out, and this guy LOVED psions in PnP...

got really descriptive with his power development and manifestation... I particularly enjoyed it.

He played it to the hilt. I'd like to see him come back to CoPaP.

JP! Where are you!?!
micah ormane

Post by micah ormane »

Psye Shaar wrote:Just having a nose through some of the old forums again and had a thought while reading this one....

While I agree that the idea of Psions being able to read minds would be both an OOC and IC nightmare to actually implement and thus a bad idea, would it be possible that to create and item that allows psions to talk to other psions telepathically - much in the same way that one is used for different languages - Draconic, animal, drow etc

The speech could simply be a series of lines on the screen (again similar to when someone is speaking animal) with a simple message being displayed of 'Player X is communicating telepathically'. It would be obvious to any reasonably perceptive person around when they are talking to each other through facial expression, or the fact they may be looking at them...

Since all psions are able to tap into normal peoples minds, it would only be a small jump for them to actually speak to each other this way. On this note they would also have to be in sight of each other....

If necessary this could only be allowed at a certain level so that the psion would definitely have enough control over their power to be able to focus this way...

Just an idea and would be interested to know what people think....

Cheers :D
Sounds cool, actually...~but~ it would be difficult to implement I think. Of course I don't know Jack about scripting. =)
apandapion
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by apandapion »

ApproachingWinter wrote:And I'll give 1000 XP to the first Psion I see who actually RPs playing a Psion, and I know it's a safe bet because none have ever done it nor likely will.
Not that I have a psion, but could you give us some idea of what you mean by that?
ApproachingWinter

Quiet, reserved, refering, contemplative, taking long periods of time meditating, actually RPing out discovering new powers and perfecting control over your mind.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

T'Holoth Shadowborn

Quiet, reserved, refering, contemplative, taking long periods of time meditating, actually RPing out discovering new powers and perfecting control over your mind.
How about all the incharacter stories tholoth made in his character journal about discovering certain powers. Explaining how the powers work. Studying under a master. each time he got a new power he would make a character journal about either discovering them or how he used them in a confrontation?

http://www.ysgardhala.org/viewtopic.php?t=521

There were a few more but they were deleted when the message board had a time warp i believe.
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
ApproachingWinter

Spartan, you know I love you and I'm not doubting your abilities as an RPer. But there's a difference between writing about such in a character journal and RPing out the class every time you're on the character.

ApproachingWinter

Forgive me if any were offended by the posts by me and my challenge to Psion's. But I've grown quite tired by the unbelievably overwhelming amount of Psions that suddenly came into being as soon as the class was introduced. And a large chunk of thos playing this class I've yet to even see RP out the psionicist mindset or RP out the learning of abilities, they basically act like just normal people who suddenly can do amazing things with their minds.

"Hey Bob look what I can do!"
*Levitates a rock*
"Wow George that's great, wanna go sit by the fire and get drunk and stare at girlies?"
"Sure Bob, that sounds splendid"

This is an ability that is rare at best and most who are able to use such abilities don't even advertise as the typical DnD mindset towards psionics is one of absolute fear. Think about it, a group of people that can read your every thought and control your mind. That's not a group you want running rampant.

And forgive me for utterly hijacking this thread.

micah ormane

Post by micah ormane »

*Gives AW the "Thread Hijack, 2005" award*
T'Holoth Shadowborn

I see where you're comming from AW.

A few times in IG i've tried to explain how my character feels psionics work. Paladin-Psion is quite the difficult class to RP i find. I thought I did an okay job at blending faith with inner enlightenment
Almara "You need to learn to think for yourself anf draw your own conclusions"
needs more work :)

I've felt the same way about other psions "Ouch i have a headache, oh HEY i can dimention door!"
Paladins "hey im just going to fuck around on my wife and ignore people in danger because im too busy to help"
Druids "who cares if i use animals as meat shields as long as it means im safe, my animal would WANT to give its life for me!"
shadowdancers "ya im just really sneaky"
clerics who sound about as religious as a tree
list goes on.

no faulting you in being honest about how you feel irregardless of what others see.

i still think the biggest problems with psions we have are players like crystalactite who see the class in terms of stats compared to someone like tristran who RPs the class well IMHO.
you notice the bad way before you notice the good.
apandapion

Post by apandapion »

T'Holoth Shadowborn wrote: Druids "who cares if i use animals as meat shields as long as it means im safe, my animal would WANT to give its life for me!"
It's been a long time since druids were required to be TN and usually played the NG treehugger. A mage manipulates the powers of magic to accomplish what he wants done. A druid manipulates the power of nature to accomplish what he wants done... a druid "accepts what is horrific and cruel in nature, but hates the unnatural" (that's a quote from the 3.0 PHB)

Not every character with Animal Empathy is a nice guy. And someone who accepts the cycle of reincarnation as a fact can be a hellish bastard by the moral standards of someone who has not.
Gairus
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Gairus »

Right. I've had ~enough~ of this between IRC and the various forums. *SNAPS*

So can I have the 1000 xp for having no PnP psionics knowledge whatsoever but *gasp* Trying my hardest to fit the role with no guidance whatsoever except being told how much I and/or the class suck?

I'm fucking tired of the lack of useful constructive advice and constant put downs and bitching damnit.

It would be nice to feel like trying my hardest was good enough.

Signed
Bitter and frustrated and slightly ranty
*breathes*
The joy of IRC.
<Tholotron_praying> I came back from fighting rightious warfare to see Aiq using TK to play with Doss's balls? :/
NWDuneAuron

Post by NWDuneAuron »

Winter is not talking about you there. Your RP impresses damn near everyone, so please Gairus, cool down.

If this thread is going to cause problems, then it will be locked. Keep it civil please, and do try not to offend others. This goes for everyone.

Oh, and, um:
[13:05] Coloures: Yeah. Roleplay it how you want to roleplay it. Leave it to the other players to react to YOU in character if there's something you're doing that warrents such a reply.
.. Yeah.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Now now... there's no need to be like that... they're all just jealous because our psionic characters are just ridiculously overpowered :wink:

I mean, i can't remember the last time my character (who by the way is evenly matched psionic/cleric) couldn't just smite any random god that pissed him off, or clear out an entire plane of nasty creatures beause Hey.. we can do that.... I blame it all on Mystie and her demi-divine powers... LMFAO

I do RP the psion side of my character as i see fit and like Gairus i will confess to not knowing how that is depicted elsewhere. The other PC's who i RP it out with will back me up on this to the point that i do make an effort with certain things he experiences as he's learning.

Personally i've hit the point that i'm beginning to find it amusing as so refuse to let it annoy me anymore.... :P
Gairus
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Gairus »

*shushes and embarassedly notes that rage caused by many was directed at one*
The joy of IRC.
<Tholotron_praying> I came back from fighting rightious warfare to see Aiq using TK to play with Doss's balls? :/
Final Shinryuu
Newb of the Year: First Place

Post by Final Shinryuu »

Mystie's demi-divine powers are a constant source of amazment for all. :)
((Psst. Don't tell anyone that her only real power is to get horribly slaughtered by every villian in every way imageinable))
Garden

Training

Post by Garden »

I realize I'm new to this and haven't read up on a much a some of you... but:

I agree with Garius to a point. People are angry about Psions not role-playing correctly; yet I've seen very few suggestions about how to role-play a Psion.

Quiet, meditative... that's fine for description...so, I know to tell him to sit under a tree, go into the meditiate emote and leave the room for 30 minutes.

But in-character, with a group, how is a psion to act? What if the original class is fighter and the character is out-going. Can't someone be reflective and out-going and not be in direct contradiction of themselves? There is a time for mediation and a time for social enjoyment...

Furthermore, and this is just a stats question: what does a Psion need to grow? Int, Wis, Charisma?

Finally, I would not like this Class to be locked. I feel that it would be a shame to lose it. I would like this class to be defined, via guidelines and for those guidelines to be adhered to. So, what should the guidelines be?

Outside of acting like a fool ((unless your my character, who is a fool :) )) what shoud a Psion NOT do.

I think that, if new characters had some general knowledge of what it meant it would discourage people from playing Psion and help real Psions to better RP the part.

Cheers,
Garden
"What is optimism?" asked Cacambo.
"Alas" said Candide, "It is the mania of maintaining that all is well when we are miserable."
ApproachingWinter

Well considering one can not be chaotic for the class and Lawful is normally considered the best mind set for a psion as to control ones mind to that degree requires a very ordered mind I'd consider them to be in many ways like a monk. And if people are going to ask me how to RP a monk then please...just don't even bother responding to this thread. I'm not going to say all monks are exactly the same but there are general guidelines on how they should act, just like there are for how a Druid/Paladin/Bard/Barbarian or any of the other alignment restricted classes act.