Gate spell

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Gate spell

Post by albonia »

I love the new way the gate spell has been done on Avlis. Now you can summon things according to your alignment. It makes the spell a good one for clerics. And its far better than summoning an evil balor which most good clerics would not do.

Any chance of having it done this way on Hala.
VIpAcT
Veteran DM

Post by VIpAcT »

If someone does the code stuffs, I would make the 'balanced' creatures.
[size=75]<Sarmanoloth> I should have went Dirty Harry with the Solar
<Sarmanoloth> "See this? Its a Celestial crafted greatsword with three runes of enchanted and loaded with Holy Avenger Caliber magic. So I have to ask you a question? Do you feel lucky? Punk?" [/size]
Gairus
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Gairus »

*pokes vipact* Not as good as the avlis ones, for the love of Almara.

They turn parties into optional extras :p
The joy of IRC.
<Tholotron_praying> I came back from fighting rightious warfare to see Aiq using TK to play with Doss's balls? :/

Post by Guest »

Something on my long list of things to do is make a summoning book. The book will allow you to set which type of creature you want to summon with a certain spell. Also, summons should be considerably more powerful than they currently are. Dragon Knight, for example, might as well be a dire rat with a fear aura.
MorphlingROR
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by MorphlingROR »

Gairus wrote:*pokes vipact* Not as good as the avlis ones, for the love of Almara.

They turn parties into optional extras :p
Bah, they are great but not as good as people think. At least my ant takes so long to buff that everything is over once it finishes doing that. I even had to cast Haste on it :P
Void Hamlet
Area Builder

Post by Void Hamlet »

I remember a case with summoning (methinks it was exactly gate spell with clerics) which summoned forth a baalor, and if you had no protection from evil casted on yourself it attacked you ... Anyone recall such a thing?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and you have to make fortitude saves, you know it's a druid. -Cap'n Charlie
Odin Hammersong
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

affirmative

Post by Odin Hammersong »

Yep. I remember that as well. I'm not sure if it's that way in the PHB, but I know it was once that way for NWN. I'm not sure if it's still true, I would assume so. I remember summoning a balor in a party, and I had forgot to mention to my evil cohorts to protect themselves from evil. :shock: shortly thereafter I was busy memorizing Raise Dead spells. :P This was about 3 years ago, though, obviously not on Hala.

--Odin
hewhorocks

Post by hewhorocks »

I believe it was the N.I.B. version of the gate spell that did this.
Starslayer_D

Post by Starslayer_D »

Avlis and bioware versions of gate create hostile summons, still.. cast PfG or PfE before summoning....
Khaelindra
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Khaelindra »

Starslayer_D wrote:Avlis and bioware versions of gate create hostile summons, still.. cast PfG or PfE before summoning....
Star, isn't it true that on Avlis you can choose which summon you take regardless of own alignment?
Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.
Flakey
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Flakey »

Khaelindra wrote: Star, isn't it true that on Avlis you can choose which summon you take regardless of own alignment?
Yes amonien summons an angel.

So did Moredo once without protection, amusing to watch him getting attacked by it in Elf Gate.
Khaelindra

Post by Khaelindra »

Flakey wrote:
Khaelindra wrote: Star, isn't it true that on Avlis you can choose which summon you take regardless of own alignment?
Yes amonien summons an angel.

So did Moredo once without protection, amusing to watch him getting attacked by it in Elf Gate.
Moredo...summons? Damn, i wanna be a monk too... :lol:
Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.
AuroraStar

Post by AuroraStar »

New here but as far as Im conserned it does make since. So if it can be done here more power to you! 8)
Starslayer_D

Post by Starslayer_D »

Evil casters need to cast protection rfom good if they want to summon a good creature, or.. see sumon mishaps.

In general, while I find the summoned creatures evry good, they are way, way to powerfull.

I right now ask myself why I took the epic feat dragon knight when my gated summons on avlis is so much more powerfull.

(Any caster cam, with sucha summons shielding him, solo pretty much anything)
Odin Hammersong

Starslayer_D wrote:Evil casters need to cast protection rfom good if they want to summon a good creature, or.. see sumon mishaps.

In general, while I find the summoned creatures evry good, they are way, way to powerfull.

I right now ask myself why I took the epic feat dragon knight when my gated summons on avlis is so much more powerfull.

Because one Dismissal or WoF spell and you're all alone? :wink:

--Odin
WrathoG777

Post by WrathoG777 »

Starslayer_D wrote:Evil casters need to cast protection rfom good if they want to summon a good creature, or.. see sumon mishaps.

THAT is the broken part in this statement. Not the new gate.
[size=67]
That is my opinion, not nessasarily anyone else's opinon, might just be, but that would be a coincodence, and damnit, sometimes the crap I write is not even my opinion either.[/size]
Khaelindra

Post by Khaelindra »

Odin Hammersong wrote:

Because one Dismissal or WoF spell and you're all alone? :wink:

--Odin
And of course the majority of opponents have that spell... :roll:
Gary Gygax wrote:
Odin Hammersong

I've only fought one creature here who cast WoF, but I have fought several across CoPaP. It is applicable, in my book.

--Odin
Sable

Post by Sable »

Saying something as OK because there is a spell that counters it, makes as much sense as saying Dev Crit without a save would be OK if there was a feat only available to fighters that made you immune.

There are more classes in D&D than just the casters.
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
Khaelindra

Post by Khaelindra »

Dev Crit isn't strong at all because i can change into a form that is immune to criticals... 8)
Gary Gygax wrote:
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

Just wondered if the gate spell was ever changed on Hala?

Going to be a while yet before Tris can cast it, but it'll be pretty much useless to him if the only thing he can summon is a Balor...

You can imagine the reaction -

1st Bystander - Did that man in the Celestial Order Uniform just summon a Balor?
2nd Bystander - Looks that way... well i always knew they couldn't be trusted...

As is the general way these nasty rumours can start....
I've only fought one creature here who cast WoF, but I have fought several across CoPaP. It is applicable, in my book.
I can quite honestly say Word of Faith is becoming an increasingly popular spell for the NPC's i've been up against lately.... Seem to spend half the time fighting blind... not to mention party members dying around me... :roll:

Don't think Tris has ever been dp'd as frequently as the last couple of weeks, but it all adds to the challenge.. and that's where the fun is :P

Anyway.. back to my original question... is this still on the books to be implemented?

For any that haven't seen, this has been discussed on the Avlis boards quite a bit: http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?t=51981
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

Gate is still the Bioware version on Hala.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

What i wanted to know was if it's likely to be changed....? :idea:
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

If we can get the script, then yes, it will be changed.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
Starslayer_D

Post by Starslayer_D »

And epic dragon summons? I actualyl like it that the duration is much longer now on Hala