Asking the Team: the Parry Skill..

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

PiCaKi©

Asking the Team: the Parry Skill..

Post by PiCaKi© »

..hello Team,
on behalf of a fellow player (and of course my curiousity) we wanted to know how the Parry skill works here on Hala. And/If it's broken or just dandy..

so long, thanks in advance,
P.
LadyPhoenix77
Knight: Church of Pants
Location: Whats the use of have names if you lose all your friends. That's where I'm from.

Post by LadyPhoenix77 »

Parry works how it does in biowares implementation for NWN, as in it is broken pretty much. I know it was fixed in NWN2, but I don't remember anything ever being done in NWN.
wyldhunt
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by wyldhunt »

Just for clarification. It works as described in the description, but because of bioware limitations, it can never parry more than 3 attacks per round regardless of your potential. If you have 1 attack per round, you can parry 1 attack. If you have 7 attacks/round, you can still only parry 3 attacks, since that's the limit. If you don't mind this, then it works as described.
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

i use this ability all the time with Samantha. It works great for me so far, i even took improved parry, and she uses the rapier for the whole fencing thingy :)
Gone
Odin Hammersong
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by Odin Hammersong »

So it seems that Parry as a whole in NWN can be useful(and fun) at lower levels, but can't scale with an epic parry-er(perrier? perri-eh? I'm thirsty) as only 3 attacks can be parried a round.

I've always wondered about Parry in NWN and how it seems so unappealing to the mostly powergaming crowd, but found a few fans in the people that liked the swashbuckling aspect of NWN.

Good to see folks using it in Hala. :)
"All tryin' to do as we should, but that doesn't always rhyme with doin' what feels good"

[quote="micah ormane"]I'm dedicated? I just take your spells away then abandon you!

Muah ha ha! RP that, bitch![/quote]
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

yeah it's cool when you use it and you get to hit back. Just ask Jenai i'll be sitting there watching Sam fight something and then I'll yell out en'garde.

:lol: i know, I'm a dork :D
Gone
Jenai
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by Jenai »

Corwink wrote:
i know, I'm a dork

But your my dork! :D
Quote:
Jenai even at near death is about as helpless as that kitten in Mithro. *Daemona*
NWDuneAuron
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by NWDuneAuron »

Parry is only useful when fighting a single opponent who has 3 or less attacks, really. Lots of it's usefulness is long gone by level 16, by which time dual wielding fighters will have 6 attacks, single wielding fighters will have 4, and dual wielding rogues will have 4. Parry need only apply for meleeing clerics and mages, at higher levels - in which case you're probably rather be making a full attack.
corwink
Wiki Pioneer

Post by corwink »

Yeah i only use it when I'm fighting one opponent. If I try to use when there are more than one I get my butt kicked. :lol: sam's only 5th lvl right now so it comes in real handy cause her ac ain't great, and parry helps stop some attacks that would normally damage her.
Gone