I've created a Psion named Shen

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

Garden
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

I've created a Psion named Shen

Post by Garden »

He's in Hala, currently around Mithro. I'm going to be practicing my RP abilities by trying to create a guideline for other characters (no, they don't have to be quiet old men). PLEASE WATCH MY CHARACTER carefully and let me know if you think I'm doing well or if I'm drifting away from the Psion class. My first level is Cleric, but after that I intend to play a pure Psion and set the standard with your help.

Feel free to "tell" me and offer suggestions and help. This character is important to me, because I want to show that a Psion can be played correctly and effectively in Hala.

Thanks,
R.J.
"What is optimism?" asked Cacambo.
"Alas" said Candide, "It is the mania of maintaining that all is well when we are miserable."
Garden

Please further note

Post by Garden »

If you have not done so already, please see the earlier post on Psionics. This will bring you up to date on my questions concerning psionics and what I hope to achieve.

-R.J.
"Alas" said Candide, "It is the mania of maintaining that all is well when we are miserable."
micah ormane
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by micah ormane »

*Sits in the shadows at a big scary desk, stroking his familiar as he peers into the crystal ball*

Yes...we will be watching you...

*Evil laughter pervades the halls*
tid242

Re: I've created a Psion named Shen

Post by tid242 »

Garden wrote:
Feel free to "tell" me and offer suggestions and help. This character is important to me, because I want to show that a Psion can be played correctly and effectively in Hala.
Actually, after that thread about psions on Hala I very much look forward to interacting with your character.

Thanks & i'll be seeing you around.

*looks around as the hairs on his neck rise, wondering if some evil minnesotan is watching through a crystal ball as he says this to Garden*

-tid242
T'Holoth Shadowborn
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

IT will be interesting to watch and try to notice the differences between a character who's basically a pure psion and others who had picked up powers along the way.

Have you read much about the darksun world, garden?
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Garden

Dark Sun?

Post by Garden »

No I haven't. I'm playing my character similar to a monk. He has awareness of his innate abilities but lacks understanding. The actual story is that his mind was wiped for some reason (he discovers this along the way) and that explains why his mind is cloudy despite his intelligence and wisdom.

Where can I find out about Dark Sun? I would like to learn as much as possible about psions so that I can develop him properly in higher levels. Right now, he's a cleric (still Lvl 1 -- just started), struggling to make sense of the shards of thought that assail his mind. I want to be able to really bring into play what it means to be a psion -- inner turmoil, self-mastery, the "alone in a crowded room" mentality, etc.

Please send me Pm's, Post advice, or offer up links whenever possible.
T'Holoth Shadowborn

I'll see what I can come up with for links and information and PM it to you.

Darksun was a TSR world that fully embraced psionics. Besides psionics as a class many people (charaters) would have a couple random powers.

"I've always just been able to move things with my mind". Wild powers they called them.
Much more common than wizards and magic.
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Ben DeVeny

Re: Dark Sun?

Post by Ben DeVeny »

Garden wrote:I'm playing my character similar to a monk.
*whispers* we already got a monk named Shen...*
Enverex
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Enverex »

Lets just hope he's not a Devout of Dagath then shall we? :lol:
Garden

PSP

Post by Garden »

So I've gone to level 2 and taken my first level as a psion...and I tried to use one of the abilities and it failed a couple of times because I'm low level (does armor affect anything?) but then it worked. My PSP was 2/20 so I rested and waited and IC meditated on my newly discovered ability... but the PSP isn't going back up...

HOW DO YOU GET PSP full again?
Anniko

Post by Anniko »

you dont regen PSP until lvl 4, not sure why
Ammenti Ril
Celestial Order, Phoenix Guards, Plane of Ysgard
Garden

Are you kidding me?

Post by Garden »

Lvl 4 character or Psion Spell?

Seriously though, LVL 4? What the hell is that? You try out abilities as a psion and develop your character and then, suddenly, you can't use them anymore?

Make Regen a required feat. Make it a given and then offer faster regen at higher levels... but no regen at all until level 4?

That's nuts!
Garden

Post by Garden »

So I just "telled" another Psion and asked him about it and he said that when I rest it should completely refill my PSP. Does this mean that there's a bug to report, or does this refer to resting after LVL4 and the Psionic Residue feat has been chosen?

I'm frustrated, because my character has his mind wiped and is now slowly regaining his powers... for him to discover a new power and then not be able to work with it for 4-5 levels... that's just hard to RP. I can say something like, the sudden burst of awareness was too much for me... and then slowly rediscover through meditation what happened... but my character development kinda depends on his ability to rediscover his nature and work with psionics.

Any suggestions here???
Gairus
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by Gairus »

Fedex to level 4?

There are other threads on this - the psp regaining is tied to the resting penalties that do not kick in until that time.

On the bright side, you get them back when it resets. - save them for when it really counts, and pretty well be gimpy and power-less until you get that level.

(been there meself ;))
Last edited by Gairus on Tue May 24, 2005 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The joy of IRC.
<Tholotron_praying> I came back from fighting rightious warfare to see Aiq using TK to play with Doss's balls? :/
Garden

So...

Post by Garden »

At level 4, whether I have residue or not, I'll be able to PSP regen by resting every 4 hours? And then, after I take the Residue feat it will slowly regen?

Hmmm... what about the storyline? Too much awareness? Does that seem like a good justification? The power was used. My character knows it happened. I have to justify not being able to/not using it for awhile.

Any RP help would be great. I don't want this character to turn out to be some crappy should-be sorcerers who simply uses different spells (I got nothin' against sorcerers -- but I'm trying to prove Psions can work).

Let me know your thoughts.
Gairus

Post by Gairus »

Residue requires five psion levels and will get you PSPs back slowly but I would not hold my breath. Arkon has been quite clear he wants it nerfed :)

Better bet is to learn to make those points stretch the four hours. Painful but doable.
The joy of IRC.
<Tholotron_praying> I came back from fighting rightious warfare to see Aiq using TK to play with Doss's balls? :/
tid242

Re: PSP

Post by tid242 »

Garden wrote:(does armor affect anything?)
According to the original Avlis Psionics thread (it's like 17 pages long) it appears that armor affects nothing, however psionics may not be used with a helmet (and due to NWN limitations everything you wear on your head is a helmet (including crowns, circlets, cereal wrapers and the like).

Never played a psionicist though, so unsure if any of this has changed.

-tid242
T'Holoth Shadowborn

According to the original Avlis Psionics thread (it's like 17 pages long) it appears that armor affects nothing, however psionics may not be used with a helmet (and due to NWN limitations everything you wear on your head is a helmet (including crowns, circlets, cereal wrapers and the like).
is that a rule players are suposed to police themselves?

Because my character can use psionics with his helmet on.

Residue does allow a psion to regain psp's over time (very slowly). It's not over powered IMHO.

My level 18 sorcerer can cast something crazy like 30 fireballs before resting. Not to mention cast from an endless supply of scrolls if i have them. Residue isn't that overpowered.
Final Shinryuu
Newb of the Year: First Place

Post by Final Shinryuu »

T'Holoth Shadowborn wrote:

Residue does allow a psion to regain psp's over time (very slowly). It's not over powered IMHO.

My level 18 sorcerer can cast something crazy like 30 fireballs before resting. Not to mention cast from an endless supply of scrolls if i have them. Residue isn't that overpowered.
The exception to the helmet rule is helmets that increase the wearer's psionic power. Thus, if you had an Int or Wis increasing helmet, it would enhance your powers instead of blocking them.
tid242

Post by tid242 »

T'Holoth Shadowborn wrote:

Well, like i said, that's how it appeared from the original thread - but i'm not sure if it's been changed.

Guess it must've changed! :D

-tid242
Gairus

Post by Gairus »

It was never coded.

And I for one will keep using my nifty wisdom helmet until this team (this one, not the avlis one) says otherwise :p
The joy of IRC.
Psye Shaar
Assistant Head DM

Post by Psye Shaar »

T'Holoth Shadowborn Wrote:
Residue does allow a psion to regain psp's over time (very slowly). It's not over powered IMHO
Tholoth is quite right here. It's been bought up on several occasions about residue but what poeople seem to forget is that it costs 15psp's just to use it and it's quite apparent that those 15 are often a big chunk of the amount you regain.

As an average, i would say that my PC gains an extra 10-12 psp's everytime he uses residue. This is only enough to use one buff (which won't last all that long) or if you're lucky, up your psp's enough to use an aggressive power once.

After a while you get used to becoming very conservative with your powers when you know there's not going to be anywhere to rest for a while, in order to keep enough to be able to defend yourself should something particularly nasty be dropped on you...

There are certain things that can help as a last resort to be able to use residue if you've run too low on psp's (and believe me it can happen quite regularly, even when you're being careful) but those are things to be found out in game...

As for not recovering psp's until level four - I apologise for not telling anyone about that when they've asked me anything, but my psion was created on Avlis and you regain psp's from first level on rest there so i tend to forget...
[i]"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction." [/i]
Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
Enverex

Post by Enverex »

I could code in some sort of "Failure with helmet on" system if anyone wants it...
Garden

No!

Post by Garden »

Please leave the helmet rule the way it is. If you must change it, please allow for helmets that increase wisdom/int to still help... however, as some helmets/mask (the tiger ones for ex.) enhance other things (like Dex), I think it would be a shame to limit a character by saying no to helmets.
Aiquandol
Team Member

Post by Aiquandol »

The helmet rule will probably not be implemented. As for the PSPs not coming back before level 4, it's currently a bug. We've been working on fixing it slowly, but it's not top priority. Go ahead and roleplay that you're just out of PSPs until you hit level 4. Most people know it's a bug and won't give you gripe about it.