Interworld travel

Talks that may or may not have anything to do with Hala or NWN

Moderator: Top Team

albonia
Honor Guard: Church of Pants

Interworld travel

Post by albonia »

We have that covered too. Once Ithilla goes live, Rockhome and Tairis links will be cut, and you'll need to Spelljam to get to them. Once Outlands goes live, Hala link will be cut, and you'll need to go through Outlands to get to all the planar worlds. Getting back from Outlands will require a quest with a timer that only lets a few people through per week.
I came across this on the avlis website and i repeated it here because it affects hala. Not sure what the thinking behind this is but it would seem that it will drastically reduce the travelers from avlis.

Is it the intention to discourage interworld travel?
sinbadsam
Whelp of the Unholy Church of Newbieism

Post by sinbadsam »

It appears this is Avlis's solution to the off world gold, magic item issues.

It will also "cure" the mining of gold ore from Rockhome then taking it back to Avlis. That means that Avlis players will have to do the Rectal Exam of the Twin Avlissian Deglossian Amber Dragons for Gold and such.

It appears now that the outlands will be the Grand Central Station of Portal Travel, with reservations on leaving. :D

SinbadSam
BlindBleu
Void Hamlet
Area Builder

Post by Void Hamlet »

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and you have to make fortitude saves, you know it's a druid. -Cap'n Charlie
ApproachingWinter
Knight of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by ApproachingWinter »

This definately sounds like a great idea for linking purposes, I'd personally rather be linked through Outlands as it does bring more realism along the lines of planar cosmology. Plus having the portals arranged in such a manner might actually make Hala feel like an outer plane instead of just another prime world.
albonia

Post by albonia »

Yes its just the bit about a few people per week being allowed to travel through outlands. Depends what a "few" people is supposed to mean a few hundred is fine less could cause problems.
slave_of_emotions
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by slave_of_emotions »

Getting back from Outlands will require a quest with a timer that only lets a few people through per week.
To me this sounds more like avlis atempt of player hording that they keep to practice since disalowing avlis characters planetravelers by they gods.

Right now the gold drop on hala is even lower then avlis, and its avlisan characters that run around with items that cast level 9 spells. What ever they say, the magic standart on avlis is very high.

And hopefuly it does not mean that to get to tairis or rockhome we need to avlis first and then to spelljam from there ??? *groans* That would hurt since i have now my alchemy skills on avlis and tairis and i prefer to work on tairis, far away from the great 9.

((Yes i am a avlis disliker :) ))
[url=http://www.dynasig.net/?id=2052][img]http://serve.dynasig.net/2052.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/a296/6_loverboy_9/NWN/]screenshots[/url][url=http://slaveofemotions.sl.funpic.de/mx/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=1]and more[/url]
Arkon
World Leader

Post by Arkon »

No current Hala Links to other worlds are planned to be cut. This may change in the future depending on somethings, but for the moment, current links will remain as they are.
Respect is Earned! Fear is Demanded!
micah ormane
Honor Guard: Holy Church of Big Mouths

Post by micah ormane »

I think between moving through the outlands and the spelljamming from place to place planar travel will become the challenge I always thought it was supposed to be in PnP. Although some might find this sort of thing stifling, I personally enjoy the challenge and the RP of taking an extended trip across the planes, not having an easy way back, and so forth.

My PC will definately be planar travelling. There are so many places to explore, and so many sights to see. The fact that there is a large enough fan and player base to the CoPaP worlds that these sort of things is possible is very exciting.
teleri
Squire of the Holy Church of Annoyance

Post by teleri »

micah ormane wrote:I think between moving through the outlands and the spelljamming from place to place planar travel will become the challenge I always thought it was supposed to be in PnP. Although some might find this sort of thing stifling, I personally enjoy the challenge and the RP of taking an extended trip across the planes, not having an easy way back, and so forth.

My PC will definately be planar travelling. There are so many places to explore, and so many sights to see. The fact that there is a large enough fan and player base to the CoPaP worlds that these sort of things is possible is very exciting.
As an FYI Planar travel in the outer planes is usualy easy its the travel from prime to plane that is hard.
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html]Tony DiTerlizzi[/url]

[url=http://www.mimir.net/]Planescape resource[/url]
sinbadsam

Post by sinbadsam »

So that means it is time to start new characters on the new non prime travel hubs.
T'Holoth Shadowborn

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

I think it's a good idea.

Makes the portals and such "make sense" for lack of a better term.

Not a huge fan of putting timers and restrictions on planar travel. Some of us can't play all day. What they really need to do is somehow make a single character vault.

if your character is on HALA then you van't log into avlis or rockhome or where ever. You have to hoof it yourself.
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
Sable

Post by Sable »

T'Holoth Shadowborn wrote:What they really need to do is somehow make a single character vault.

if your character is on HALA then you van't log into avlis or rockhome or where ever. You have to hoof it yourself.
Technically, as easy as putting a flag in a box.

Not the real code, cos I've not looked into coding in NWNX2 yet, but in terms to make the point

On portal,
Update playerlocation
set currentserver=[text string (or ID number) of whatever that portal linked to]

On Modenter
Select currentserver
from playerlocation

if currentserver != [name of server being logged into]
{
boot
sendmessagetoplayer "piss off and walk back you cheating little tosser" :P
}
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
T'Holoth Shadowborn

Post by T'Holoth Shadowborn »

imagine how different that would make the world?

hell that would almost eliminate duping wouldnt it?
[i]Blessed is the mind too small for doubt[/i]
Though I walk through the vally in the shadows of daemons, I shall fear nothing. For I am what the daemon fears.
teleri

Post by teleri »

but would cost whoever hosted it to have a huge burden to shoulder for all of copap.
[url=http://www.diterlizzi.com/art/games/planescape/index.html]Tony DiTerlizzi[/url]

Sable

Post by Sable »

the above example wouldn't require a single server vault. Its based on the same logic as Avlis uses to track which server a character is meant to be on... its just passed along with them from one server vault to another.
"Abash'd the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely” John Milton
teleri

Post by teleri »

Sable wrote:the above example wouldn't require a single server vault. Its based on the same logic as Avlis uses to track which server a character is meant to be on... its just passed along with them from one server vault to another.
then you would have to query all the server as avlis uses a single DB server with one servervault. (:

slave_of_emotions
Squire: Church of Pants

Post by slave_of_emotions »

Actualy those informations could be saved on a characters hide like avlis and tairis does it curently ?
[url=http://www.dynasig.net/?id=2052][img]http://serve.dynasig.net/2052.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/a296/6_loverboy_9/NWN/]screenshots[/url][url=http://slaveofemotions.sl.funpic.de/mx/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=1]and more[/url]
tristan_durst

Post by tristan_durst »

Hey Neighbors...

Just wanted to jump in here with my two coppers.

Travel between the Outerplanes to other outerplanes is essentiually real easy. Just find the right portal, and use the right key, and wam, you are there.

Travel between Outerplanes and Prime worlds Should be hard. It is suppose to take some research and some powerful spells.

Outerplanes to Innerplane travel Is impossible without a trip through the Prime. There is no connections between Outer and Inner planes.

Thanks,
-Tristan
Void Hamlet
Area Builder

Post by Void Hamlet »

tristan_durst wrote:Outerplanes to Innerplane travel Is impossible without a trip through the Prime. There is no connections between Outer and Inner planes.
Are you sure? Even through the Infinite Staircase of Ysgard? (When I am not sure, I ask) Image
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and you have to make fortitude saves, you know it's a druid. -Cap'n Charlie
tristan_durst

Post by tristan_durst »

Void Hamlet wrote:
tristan_durst wrote:Outerplanes to Innerplane travel Is impossible without a trip through the Prime. There is no connections between Outer and Inner planes.
Are you sure? Even through the Infinite Staircase of Ysgard? (When I am not sure, I ask) Image
Two points on planar travel:
Just being on the Outer Planes doesn’t make getting around easy. There’s still vast distances to be covered and mystical barriers to be crossed. It helps for a fellow to know the ways and means of quickly getting from place to place, unless he wants to spend a lifetime just crossing from one portal to the next on the Great Road.

First, a cutter can always use the Astral Plane in pretty much the same way a prime uses it to reach the Outer Planes. Through spells or magical items, a blood can step into the Astral and then will himself to his destination. It takes power and practice, but it can be done. The astral method’s not perfect, though. The Astral only touches the uppermost layer of each plane on the Great Ring. If a fellow wants to go to Mount Celestia, for instance, he can only get to the first layer this way. He’s got to find another way to reach the seventh layer (or the second, for that matter).

Fortunately, other, more efficient means of getting around exist. There’s conduits, just like those that thread the Astral Plane (see page 21), which link different layers of a plane. These conduits can even link different layers of different planes. It’s said there’s a conduit on the 492nd layer of the Abyss that’ll carry a being to the first layer of Ysgard, which just might make for a handy escape someday. These conduits can be either young (one-way) or mature (two-way). Most conduits are pretty stable, and maps to many of them can be bought in Sigil. ’Course, fakes are available for purchase, too. The biggest problem with conduits is they don’t always take a body where he wants to go. Step through a conduit and a berk may still have long distances to travel.

Every plane’s got regular paths between the layers, too. On Baator, a sod can pass through the gates of the city of Dis and end up in the bog of Minauros, the next layer down. On Elysium, a body can sail down the River Oceanus to reach the next layer. To use these, a being’s just got to know the dark of them. They’re not as quick as conduits, but their dependability makes them regular trade routes. These roads are also used for formal occasions, like when one power goes calling on another. It’s the polite thing to do.

Finally, there’s Sigil’s portals. Just like the portals to the Prime Material and Inner Planes, Sigil’s got doorways to more places on the Outer Planes than can be mapped in a millennium. For most planars, or at least those that can get to Sigil, the portals are the preferred way to travel. Odds are good for finding a door at least somewhat close to where a cutter wants to go - if he’s willing to search the streets long enough.
And
Elementals summoned on the Outer Planes aren’t the same thing as those creatures that appear on the Inner Planes and the Prime Material. Since the Inner Planes are pretty well cut off from the Outer ones, spells that call upon an elemental creature actually create one from the elements of the plane where the spell is cast.

That means these monsters are going to act a bit differently from the real thing. First, the elemental adopts the alignment of the plane where it’s created. It’ll refuse to do anything that would contradict that alignment. This also means that elementals created on the Lower Planes have a little of the deviousness that other natives possess, so a spellcaster better watch out for tricks, misinterpreted instructions, and outright treachery. Finally, the chance for an elemental to break the caster’s control over it increases by 5% for every plane between the monster’s and the caster’s (as determined by faction plane of influence) - the system is the same as that for priests casting spells. Luckily for primes, that last problem doesn’t affect them.
About the World Tree
One magnificent feature of the planes is the great tree Yggdrasil, the World Ash. Rising on the first layer of Ysgard, Yggdrasil’s roots and branches extend into many other planes, providing yet another way for travelers to get around. No one has mapped the extent of these pathways, but some of the important paths are known. One of the roots reaches to Niflheim on the Gray Waste, and another stretches to Pandemonium, where Loki [of the Norse pantheon) resides. The branches are no less widespread, even crossing the silvery void of the Astral Plane to reach the very Prime Material. There, it’s said, the smallest branch tips touch hundreds of worlds where the Norse gods are revered or remembered. Other branches reach Elysium, the Beastlands, and Limbo, and there are likely to be many more
such pathways.

Traveling Yggdrasil’s paths requires the traveler to climb through the branches or roots. At each planar crossing, the tree disappears through a portal of shimmering color, like a color pool found on the Astral. Only the vaguest of shapes can be seen through the window. To know for certain what lies on the other side, a traveler must step through. The colored portals are all two-way passages.
All Information is from the DM’s Guide in the Main Boxset for Planescape.

So, seeing the only way to travel around the outer planes is through the Astral Plane, there is no connection to the inner planes. The outerplanes are connected to the prime via the Astral, while the Etheral plane is what connects the Inner planes to Prime materal plane. The Astral, and Etheral planes do not actually "touch," so Standing on Alfheim, and trying to go to the Plane of Water would be immpossible unless:

A. The planewalker cast a spell to send them to the prime via the astral, then cast a second spell to get to the plane of water, via the Etheral plane.

B. Uses a magical device to transport himself to the prime, and then to a Inner plane.

C. Goes to Sigil, the only place in the outer planes that does have connections to the inner planes, and uses a portal.

The City of Sigil is a rules breaker. The portals there can lead anywhere, included worlds with modren Technologies. IIRC there was an Adventure where the PCs went to a "junk" world where they found parts to the Space Shuttle, and a locomotive. Not sure which one it was. Also, Technology exist on some worlds, as ancient artifacts. Mystara's backstory, as told in the Immortal boxset, Before Galantri and Rockhome, a Spacecraft crashed landed on the planet, and the resulting Nuclear explosion tilted the world on its axis!!

-Tristan
tid242

Post by tid242 »

tristan_durst wrote:

IIRC there was an Adventure where the PCs went to a "junk" world where they found parts to the Space Shuttle, and a locomotive. Not sure which one it was.

-Tristan
You're thinking of the Transformer's movie where they go to the Planet of Junk and then Eric Idle Helps Ultra-Magnus and the others find a space ship (even though Hot Rod, Cup and the Dinobots already had one), which they use to defeat Unicron at the end of the movie with the Autobot Matrix. The locomotive you're thinking of was Astrotrain who traveled with Galvitron and the rest of the decepticons to the Planet of Junk to stop the Autobots from doing this....

Ok, in all seriousness that is a really interesting string of quotes, I'll have to read up more on the plainscape materials for my own OOC knowledge. The other day I was trying to explain to my GF why Sigil is special - but then realized that I didn't actually *know* why it was special that one could portal everywhere from there....

Back in the day (heh, when i'm old i'll talk about today that way), i never got much into plainscape, although a friend of mine still has all the materials...

Tristan, your posts are always informative and interesting (much unlike mine), so thanks.

-tid242